GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wal Mart steps over a dollar to pick up a dime (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/81886-wal-mart-steps-over-dollar-pick-up-dime.html)

~ Windsong ~ 18-08-2004 05:09 AM

"Lydia" wrote in message
I used to work at Barnes & Noble. During peak retail times publishers

would
send us extra copies of books thought to be in higher demand in the "mass
market" format - that's the smaller size paperbacks. After said peak

season
ended and we had leftovers, the cover would be torn off and sent back to

the
publisher who would give the company credit for what they didn't sell.

The
staff were allowed to take 1 or 2 titles w/o their front covers home, but
the rest were torn up into small sections of book and thrown in the
dumpster! Surely those could have been donated to a charity organization

or
something. I always hated that.

$$ How sickening. Think how much old people in a NH, or disabled shut-ins
would love to have them. It's crossed my mind how much the elderly or
disabled would love some of those plants piled up behind the Wal-Mart store.

I know that doesn't apply to the WalMart thing, but just reminded me of my
little stories. I agree that it seems awfully wasteful of WalMart to just
toss them and would seem harmless to let people take them for free if they
were just going in the dumpster.

$$ Or mark then down to almost nothing like the Lowe's store does. This way
the store gets something, and people are very happy to remove this
merchandise from the manager's face. :-) It makes for good will.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"If athletes get athletes foot, do astronauts get mistletoe?"

Roy 18-08-2004 12:48 PM

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 23:09:23 -0500, "~ Windsong ~"
wrote:

snip
===$$ How sickening. Think how much old people in a NH, or disabled shut-ins
===would love to have them. It's crossed my mind how much the elderly or
===disabled would love some of those plants piled up behind the Wal-Mart store.
===
=== I know that doesn't apply to the WalMart thing, but just reminded me of my
=== little stories. I agree that it seems awfully wasteful of WalMart to just
=== toss them and would seem harmless to let people take them for free if they
=== were just going in the dumpster.
===
===$$ Or mark then down to almost nothing like the Lowe's store does. This way
===the store gets something, and people are very happy to remove this
===merchandise from the manager's face. :-) It makes for good will.

This is exactly how I feel. Our local Lowes may mark something down
but their dumpster is off limits and they never ever give anything for
free, even old pallets or broken pavers. Home Depot on the oter hand
has an area set up behind the store, and have pallets there with piles
of broken and busted merchandise like walkay pavers, edgers, plants,
busted bags of gravel and mulch with a big sign above the stuff saying
FREE.......For the most part stuff will remain laying there for a long
time, and even myself I will let a lot of stuff remain even if I could
use it "eventually"......its not like I just have to have it, and why
be selfish. Just yesterday I got 9 broken bags of cypress mulch and 11
bags of various bagged decorative stones etc, as well as a heap of
broken walk pavers.......and 8 bags of shredded tires listed as soft
playground mulch......The majority of plants and pavers and edgers I
have around my property and used in my pond construction were obtained
over time for free this way........They do not mind scratching my back
and I sure don't mind repaying the favor as I then spend more money or
at least try my best to utilize these places for any purchase I need.
I spend some serious money in Home Depot, but very little in places
like Lowes. Wal MArts reply to retreiving stuff from the dumpster is.
We do not allow it, but we are not going to make any effort to guard
our dumpster either........or go out of our way to prevent it. They
simply can't give permission to remove the stuff, but once in the
dumpster they are not going to stop you from retreiving plants etc
either..........its at this point when stuff is in the dumpster that
they met their responsibility in what their policy requires. Other
places will have you arrested for tresspassing if you dive their
dumpsters.........

I have also been known to get flowers from Wal MArts dumpster and also
from Home Depot, and take my time and nurse them back to health, and
take them and plant them at various roadway memorial markers you see
setup where people have been killed in accidents......This little act
gives me a sense of pleasure and presents no hazzard to roadways. I
have also nursed back to health a lot of plants and gave them to a
elderly care center nearby, which really made the residents
day..........I think there is much more to be gained for donating or
giving items away to be used by those less fortunate or by those that
really appreciate it even in a state of dissrepair than filling a
landfill up and increasing the bank account.

I sure did not intend for my original post to get so lengthy
especially when the only content about ponding was the fact they were
going to destroy and trash the liners..........
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Stephen M. Henning 18-08-2004 03:25 PM

"~ Windsong ~" wrote:

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote:
But the employees are the ones who can make sure merchandise doesn't
sell by hiding price tags, putting it in poor locations where no one
sees it, bad mouthing things they don't want to sell, leaving it in the
stock room or storage trailer, etc.

=========================
Again you have a *management* problem then. Where is the store MANAGER and
ass't manager?

Managers are employees also.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Stephen M. Henning 18-08-2004 03:28 PM

"SVTKate" wrote:

This means an entire store with only 5 people on staff,
one of them a manager, one of them an operations officer three of them
minimum wage sales associates.

Our Walmart has that many Seniors at the door greeting people. It has a
similar number in the garden section just loading peoples cars.

Mrs. Fricker 18-08-2004 03:30 PM

"SVTKate" wrote:

If you want to blame someone, blame the sorporation, not the
employees. The company is to blame 80% of the time.

It sounds like you don't like your job. Have you tried a different line
of work. If you have to go around blaming people perhaps you aren't busy
enough.

Newbie Bill 18-08-2004 04:06 PM

As a bargain hunter to the nth degree I would hate to see this happen. But,
not knowing the numbers I cannot say how foolish this is or not. I would
suspect this policy is just for people like me - to encourage them to buy
them at retail, rollback or even clearance and not wait for 'giveaway'
pricing, lest they be gone. I am a self employed printer. All jobs are
overprinted to allow for loss during the bindery stage. I used to always
include any extras left over (instead of trashing them) untill I realized
people would order less or less frequently counting on getting some 'for
free'. What goodwill or perceived discount this made in the buying decision
is very difficult to say. However the industry pretty much follows this
rule, apparently believing the more you give away the more you are taking
out of your own pocket.
On the other hand:
Enforcement or policies may be different but just the other day I was at
Lowe's and spotted 8 planters the water lilies had been in. Again being a
bargain hunter to the nth degree I thought these would be great for future
planting. They were rectangular but were fairly deep, nice construction,
lip to grab them with and probably would not require a weight training
program to be able to pull them back out of the pond. I asked what was
going to happen with them and was told "People like you carry them out.
Take all you want". Eight seemed like a nice round number:)
Happy Bargain Hunting!
Bill Brister

"Roy" wrote in message
Was at Wal MArt today and happened to see a heap of preformed ponds
setting on a pallet outside the garden section. (15 total preformed)
I looked at them and there were two sizes / shapes, both relatively
large in size, but no price on them..I inquired inside on how much
they were, (actually hoping they may be discounted for clearance) and
no one inside could tell me what the story was, so they called
management. Management came and I asked about the preformed ponds
outside and how much they were. I was promptly told they were not for
sale and were to be trashed.....and then.........She promptly
reminded the assocate there to make sure they were cut in two before
they got thrown in the large construction dumpster out
back...........

Only in America.......where excess bountiful materials and goods are
trashed before selling.

PlainBill 18-08-2004 04:38 PM

It seems to be the typical 'dog in the manger' attitude at WalMart /
Sams Club. I attribute it to the large number of MBAs currently
infesting American business.

15 years or so ago (shortly after Sam Walton gave up his hands-on
control of the company) there was a big outcry over a change in policy
at the Sams Club bakeries. Previously the bakery would give the
outdated baked goods to local shelters for distribution to the
residents. Obviously, this was appreciated by The Salvation Army,
Women in Distress, and countless homeless shelters. Then Sams Club
discontinued the practice. According to the newspaper article, they
now ran all outdated bakery goods through a $50,000 'blender' they
had installed in each store. I could only hope that if the shelters
then had to buy their baked goods, they went to Costco.

PlainBill

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:05:08 GMT, (Roy)
wrote:

Was at Wal MArt today and happened to see a heap of preformed ponds
setting on a pallet outside the garden section. (15 total preformed)
I looked at them and there were two sizes / shapes, both relatively
large in size, but no price on them..I inquired inside on how much
they were, (actually hoping they may be discounted for clearance) and
no one inside could tell me what the story was, so they called
management. Management came and I asked about the preformed ponds
outside and how much they were. I was promptly told they were not for
sale and were to be trashed.....and then.........She promptly
reminded the assocate there to make sure they were cut in two before
they got thrown in the large construction dumpster out
back...........

Only in America.......where excess bountiful materials and goods are
trashed before selling.
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression, for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
-Thomas Paine

Mike Patterson 18-08-2004 05:58 PM

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 01:23:16 GMT, "Crashj"
wrote:

"Lydia" wrote in message
I used to work at Barnes & Noble.

trim tale of evil rip off artist
Sure enough, this guy comes into our store, picks the books we had in

stock
that were on the receipt, off of our shelves and went up to the cashier to
ask for a refund. He ran away when we told him we knew what he had done.

By now you understand the cost of the book as an object is a minor part of
the expected revenue to the owners of the intellectual property, so I hope
that point is well made.
As for the rip off artists, Wal-mart is the target of the largest organized
group of thieves in the world, and it is not the mafia. The mafia stays in
one place, these are the travelers.

For s secnd there I thought you were going to say "they are the
IRS"...

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin