Old 24-08-2004, 04:46 PM
Scott M.

Default Aquarium for winter

I live in Ottawa, Ont and soon it will be winter. Actually, it felt pretty
cold this morning. Anyways, My son has a friend with a large 65 gal.
aquarium for sale. It is 36 inches wide by 18 inches by 18 inches. My
thought was to bring the four koi (about 8 inches long each) in so that I
could enjoy them throughout the winter. The goldfish would stay in the pond
with the aerator and heater. I like the idea of seeing the koi but am not
sure if I want to have to do a lot to maintain them. In the pond, I wouldn't
have to do too much. Any thoughts?

Scott M.

p.s. My pond can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/4xp2p

Old 24-08-2004, 05:17 PM
Janet

Scott, that aquarium is no where near big enough for 32 inches of koi.
Sorry. (
Janet in sunny Niagara Falls

Old 10-09-2004, 07:17 PM

I was considering buying some baby koi (or getting some from a friend
whos may be spawning soon) and wintering them in an aquarium. How
large would I need for newborns?
Im in new england, northern mass

Old 11-09-2004, 01:17 AM
RichToyBox

If the babies are small, less than an inch in length, you can probably have
1 fish for each 2 gallons of water. They will grow. Typical growth in the
pond is about 8 to 10 inches per year in my zone 7 area, so in an aquarium,
being fed over the winter, I would expect them to grow at least double their
current size, with 4 times not being unreasonable growth. If you get 2
inches of koi per gallon, you will have to have some super filtration, or
you will work yourself to death doing daily water changes. As for size of
aquarium, I have seen people have koi in aquariums as small as 10 gallons,
but 20 or 50 is better.
--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

om...

Old 11-09-2004, 02:30 AM
Newbie Bill

A ponder I met said when people were giving away baby koi, she would often
get two or three and put them in a 29 gallon aquarium. She originally
started this to cycle an isolation tank but said now its mostly just cuz she
likes to see the fish a little closer for a little while. She would put
them in the pond when they were around 5 inches. She had some sort of Eheim
or one of those nice canister filters and here the frigid sub 32 degrees
days usually last no more than a month or so. So taking them out was never a
problem. I guess you could infer she thought 2 inches per gallon per inch
of the expected final size was fine (with a nice filter). With a much
longer winter I would think the answer would be a definite 'Not many' It
could be quite an expense for a whim if you were going to do it right. Or
as Rich said, minimum essentials would be a couple of hang on bio wheels and
an appropriately sized Python for those frequent water changes.(Not to
mention the tank, hood, air stones etc). I got my 50 gallon + hood and
light at a thrift shop really cheap. Bio wheels from Petsmart. They wont
volunteer this normally but 'Petsmart on line' on some things is about half
the price of in store - but if you print out the ad and take it instore they
will honor the price. Both times I have done it the manager had to be
called to confirm this was correct... then to do a price over ride. Good
Luck!
Bill Brister

om...

Old 11-09-2004, 02:30 AM
Newbie Bill

[...]

om...

"Scott M." wrote in message
I live in Ottawa, Ont and soon it will be winter. Actually, it felt

pretty
cold this morning. Anyways, My son has a friend with a large 65 gal.
aquarium for sale. It is 36 inches wide by 18 inches by 18 inches. My
thought was to bring the four koi (about 8 inches long each) in so

that I
could enjoy them throughout the winter. The goldfish would stay in the

pond
with the aerator and heater. I like the idea of seeing the koi but am

not
sure if I want to have to do a lot to maintain them. In the pond, I

wouldn't
have to do too much. Any thoughts?

Scott M.

p.s. My pond can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/4xp2p

planted aquarium/natural aquarium red406 Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 04-05-2011 06:43 PM
Winter here Vs. Winter In Fairbanks Bill[_13_] Gardening 7 18-01-2009 08:55 PM
Ugly aquarium grass, and what fish to put in a small aquarium robin Freshwater Aquaria Plants 12 22-01-2005 11:17 PM
Aquarium for winter Scott M. Ponds 0 24-08-2004 04:46 PM
[IBC] Winter (was: [IBC] winter care) Craig Cowing Bonsai 0 24-11-2003 03:22 PM