GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Auto pump shut-off for leaking pond? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/83552-auto-pump-shut-off-leaking-pond.html)

Rob 14-09-2004 02:47 AM

Auto pump shut-off for leaking pond?

Whew. Filled pond for 1st time last week. Good. No leaking. Tried
small waterfall/stream with roofing tiles but no liner. No good.
Roof tiles leaked a bit, so overnight the 400 gallon pond was almost
empty. No big deal as no fish were put in yet. Installed liner under
the roofing tiles yesterday, and so far, no leaking, but I'm paranoid
that one mischevious raccoon could disturb the stream pond liner. I
see available the Little Giant RS-5 Remote switch for submersible
pumps, which looks like a good idea. Anyone have any suggestions
regarding these? Any other companies make these?

Crashj 14-09-2004 02:33 PM

On 13 Sep 2004 18:47:05 -0700, (Rob) wrote:

I see available the Little Giant RS-5 Remote switch for submersible pumps

Hmm. My sump pump has a simple magnetic tilt switch on a float which
should be usable. Maybe you can buy a replacement switch at a plumbing
store and adapt it?
--
Crashj

~ jan JJsPond.us 14-09-2004 04:20 PM

Float switches: www.aquaticeco.com if you're looking to compare
prices/types. They call them mercury float switches I believe.

What are the roofing tiles made of? ~ jan

On 13 Sep 2004 18:47:05 -0700, (Rob) wrote:

Whew. Filled pond for 1st time last week. Good. No leaking. Tried
small waterfall/stream with roofing tiles but no liner. No good.
Roof tiles leaked a bit, so overnight the 400 gallon pond was almost
empty. No big deal as no fish were put in yet. Installed liner under
the roofing tiles yesterday, and so far, no leaking, but I'm paranoid
that one mischevious raccoon could disturb the stream pond liner. I
see available the Little Giant RS-5 Remote switch for submersible
pumps, which looks like a good idea. Anyone have any suggestions
regarding these? Any other companies make these?

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Rob 15-09-2004 03:45 AM

The roofing tiles are standard ceramic, about a third of a cylinder,
maybe 1' long, with no glaze. I've got them lined up to guide the h2o
this way and that. A bit hokey, but I'm hoping moss could grow there.
By the way, does moss arrive by itself, or is it available at
nurseries?

~ jan JJsPond.us 15-09-2004 06:33 AM

On 14 Sep 2004 19:45:43 -0700, (Rob) wrote:

The roofing tiles are standard ceramic, about a third of a cylinder,
maybe 1' long, with no glaze. I've got them lined up to guide the h2o
this way and that. A bit hokey, but I'm hoping moss could grow there.
By the way, does moss arrive by itself, or is it available at
nurseries?

Interesting use of the ceramic roofing tiles. Pictures, website? ;o)

Regarding moss, interesting thing happened to me this summer. I discovered
this dark green mass on my lower waterfall, it started to divert the water
upward. Thinking it was algae, I pulled some off to find it was more like a
fern/moss, very cool. I'm in the desert, and I've never seen this before,
and I didn't plant it there. I think the fact I've let that part of the
waterfall run year round (slow flow in the winter), it came in seed or
small plant form, by bird or wind. The part I pulled off I put in another
wet area the waterfall hit, and it quickly took root.

This summer took a trip to Portland, OR, and found that their waterfalls
have a lot of this same moss, but they're on the evergreen side of the
state, so not surprising. Soooooooooooo, I'd say, if you're in the right
locale, it will arrive on it's own, but you can get sections to root
easily, though I've never seen it sold. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~