GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Winterizing Pond - Heaters (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/84280-winterizing-pond-heaters.html)

MC 28-09-2004 09:21 PM

Winterizing Pond - Heaters

After much research, I've decided to use solar bubble wrap pool cover
floated on the top of my pond and a titanium tube-style heater. The
pool cover will have a border of about an inch to allow gases to
escape. My questions a

1) How do you use one of these acquarium-type heaters? I would imagine
it would burn the pond liner if I just throw it in there. If I suspend
it, I would be concerned of it getting knocked loose. Do I need a
wire/mesh case to keep the fish from burning themselves?

2) I've read bio filters are useless below 50 degree. So I won't run
it. Is it better to remove it from the pond, or just leave it? I
anticipate the heater will keep my pond around 40. I don't intend on
"heating" it, just keeping it from freezing solid.

FYI: I am in zone 5, 500 gallons, 30" deep, 6 Koi

Roy 28-09-2004 09:56 PM

On 28 Sep 2004 13:21:03 -0700, (MC) wrote:

===After much research, I've decided to use solar bubble wrap pool cover
===floated on the top of my pond and a titanium tube-style heater. The
===pool cover will have a border of about an inch to allow gases to
===escape. My questions a
===
===1) How do you use one of these acquarium-type heaters? I would imagine
===it would burn the pond liner if I just throw it in there. If I suspend
===it, I would be concerned of it getting knocked loose. Do I need a
===wire/mesh case to keep the fish from burning themselves?
===
===2) I've read bio filters are useless below 50 degree. So I won't run
===it. Is it better to remove it from the pond, or just leave it? I
===anticipate the heater will keep my pond around 40. I don't intend on
==="heating" it, just keeping it from freezing solid.
===
===
===
===FYI: I am in zone 5, 500 gallons, 30" deep, 6 Koi

No, an aquarium type heater is not going to burn anything inside a
pond enclosure, and your liner should be safe. There is just too much
mass that acts like a giant heatsink along with outside temps for thr
heater to reach any temps capable of hurting fish, liner etc. Look at
it this way, your gas furnace or even your electric furnace gets
pretty darn hot, but air ocming out of it is nowhere near the temp of
what the air is after its heated in the furnace combustion chambers
plenum or goes across the heating elements all due to the quanities
and masses of the duct work etc, same thing for the aquarium heater,
it will never get caughtup to a tmp capable of doing pond any damage,
expecially in cold weather.
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

George 29-09-2004 12:34 AM

"MC" wrote in message
om...
After much research, I've decided to use solar bubble wrap pool cover
floated on the top of my pond and a titanium tube-style heater. The
pool cover will have a border of about an inch to allow gases to
escape. My questions a

1) How do you use one of these acquarium-type heaters? I would imagine
it would burn the pond liner if I just throw it in there. If I suspend
it, I would be concerned of it getting knocked loose. Do I need a
wire/mesh case to keep the fish from burning themselves?

2) I've read bio filters are useless below 50 degree. So I won't run
it. Is it better to remove it from the pond, or just leave it? I
anticipate the heater will keep my pond around 40. I don't intend on
"heating" it, just keeping it from freezing solid.

FYI: I am in zone 5, 500 gallons, 30" deep, 6 Koi

You'd have to have one hell of an aquarium heater to do the job you are asking
of it. On the other hand, there are products out there that do the job more
efficiently. I use a pond de-icer. It only raises the temperature at the
surface to a level that will keep most of the pond ice-free, so it isn't on all
the time, and saves on the electrical bill. Check out this web page for more
information on pond de-icers:

http://www.pondsolutions.com/pond-heaters.htm

The one I have is the green one.

Good luck.

Janet 29-09-2004 03:48 AM

--

"MC" wrote in message
om...
After much research, I've decided to use solar bubble wrap pool cover
floated on the top of my pond and a titanium tube-style heater. The
pool cover will have a border of about an inch to allow gases to
escape. My questions a

1) How do you use one of these acquarium-type heaters? I would imagine
it would burn the pond liner if I just throw it in there. If I suspend
it, I would be concerned of it getting knocked loose. Do I need a
wire/mesh case to keep the fish from burning themselves?

2) I've read bio filters are useless below 50 degree. So I won't run
it. Is it better to remove it from the pond, or just leave it? I
anticipate the heater will keep my pond around 40. I don't intend on
"heating" it, just keeping it from freezing solid.

FYI: I am in zone 5, 500 gallons, 30" deep, 6 Koi

I'll agree with George here. We have a pool and last winter we left the
solar blanket underneath the black winter tarp. It's didn't lessen the ice
at all. The solar blanket just froze intot he ice. I'm in zone 6b and I use
a stock tank de-icer in the pond. I don't think the aquarium heater is going
to do it...
Janet in Niagara Falls

George 29-09-2004 05:44 AM

"Janet" wrote in message

"MC" wrote in message
om...
[...]

The de-icer worked great for me.

Derek Broughton 29-09-2004 01:21 PM

MC wrote:

2) I've read bio filters are useless below 50 degree. So I won't run
it. Is it better to remove it from the pond, or just leave it? I
anticipate the heater will keep my pond around 40. I don't intend on
"heating" it, just keeping it from freezing solid.

40? _That_ is some amount of heat. If an aquarium heater works at all,
your surface temperature is going to be within a degree or two of the
freezing point. Forget the heater, use a bubbler.
--
derek

[email protected] 29-09-2004 01:53 PM

Yes. put something around the heater to keep it from touching the pond liner. or,
suspend it from something over the pond.
I wouldnt recommend leaving the bubble wrap floating on the water. find some way of
suspending it 4-5 inches over the top. and strong enough to hold snow.
you need an air pump and airstones to put oxygen into the water.
If you seal the bubble wrap up and over teh pond, then do use a bucket filter with a
pump to keep moving the water and cleaning up the water during the winter.
in your small pond the temp could stay well above 55oF most of the winter. my 1600
gallon did all but one month. and I fed them a little bit every few days all winter
too. Ingrid

(MC) wrote:
After much research, I've decided to use solar bubble wrap pool cover
floated on the top of my pond and a titanium tube-style heater. The
pool cover will have a border of about an inch to allow gases to
escape. My questions a

1) How do you use one of these acquarium-type heaters? I would imagine
it would burn the pond liner if I just throw it in there. If I suspend
it, I would be concerned of it getting knocked loose. Do I need a
wire/mesh case to keep the fish from burning themselves?

2) I've read bio filters are useless below 50 degree. So I won't run
it. Is it better to remove it from the pond, or just leave it? I
anticipate the heater will keep my pond around 40. I don't intend on
"heating" it, just keeping it from freezing solid.

FYI: I am in zone 5, 500 gallons, 30" deep, 6 Koi

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Gareee© 29-09-2004 01:56 PM

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
MC wrote:

2) I've read bio filters are useless below 50 degree. So I won't run
it. Is it better to remove it from the pond, or just leave it? I
anticipate the heater will keep my pond around 40. I don't intend on
"heating" it, just keeping it from freezing solid.

40? _That_ is some amount of heat. If an aquarium heater works at all,
your surface temperature is going to be within a degree or two of the
freezing point. Forget the heater, use a bubbler.

How big a bubbler should we get for a 12x12 pond, 2-3 foot deep. We have a
number of small goldfish, but nothing bigger then 5 inches.

--
Gareee© (Gareee "at" Charter "dot" net)
Homepage:

Derek Broughton 29-09-2004 01:57 PM

MC wrote:

2) I've read bio filters are useless below 50 degree. So I won't run
it. Is it better to remove it from the pond, or just leave it? I
anticipate the heater will keep my pond around 40. I don't intend on
"heating" it, just keeping it from freezing solid.

40? _That_ is some amount of heat. If an aquarium heater works at all,
your surface temperature is going to be within a degree or two of the
freezing point. Forget the heater, use a bubbler.

How big a bubbler should we get for a 12x12 pond, 2-3 foot deep. We have a
number of small goldfish, but nothing bigger then 5 inches.

In S. Ontario, with temperatures down to -25C, I could keep a hole open with
a 15W aquarium air pump and one of the long (6") air stones, suspended
6-12" below the waterline.
--
derek

MC 29-09-2004 03:38 PM

I had a pond deicer last year. It didn't work in Chicago. I wound up
having to bring the fish in at the last minute. Also, I believe
Chicago is too cold for a pond of my depth without a heater. A decicer
does nothing to the water temperature at the bottom of the pond where
the fish are. Koi do not hibernate. Ultra cold water is not good for
them.

om...

MC 29-09-2004 03:40 PM

Again, if the combination of your climate and depth of your pond
allows, a deicer is great, but I don't think it fits all situations.
Contrary to what many people think, Koi don't hibernate.

"George" wrote in message ...
"Janet" wrote in message

om...

Gareee© 29-09-2004 04:03 PM

MC wrote:

2) I've read bio filters are useless below 50 degree. So I won't run
it. Is it better to remove it from the pond, or just leave it? I
anticipate the heater will keep my pond around 40. I don't intend on
"heating" it, just keeping it from freezing solid.

40? _That_ is some amount of heat. If an aquarium heater works at all,
your surface temperature is going to be within a degree or two of the
freezing point. Forget the heater, use a bubbler.

How big a bubbler should we get for a 12x12 pond, 2-3 foot deep. We have
number of small goldfish, but nothing bigger then 5 inches.

In S. Ontario, with temperatures down to -25C, I could keep a hole open
with
a 15W aquarium air pump and one of the long (6") air stones, suspended
6-12" below the waterline.

Thanks, Derek. I'll save this, and try that this year. We didn' get near as
much snow as I thought we would last year, but we've had a ton of rain this
year, so we might get more cold, and more snow as well.

Janet 29-09-2004 06:01 PM

You're 100 % correct MC, koi are not goldfish and vice versa. Koi absolutely
do not do well in water under about 40 degrees. They may make it but it can
be a real struggle in the spring as in their weakened state they are very
suseptable to parasites and bacterial infections...
Janet in cloudy Niagara Falls

--

"MC" wrote in message
om...
Again, if the combination of your climate and depth of your pond
allows, a deicer is great, but I don't think it fits all situations.
Contrary to what many people think, Koi don't hibernate.

"George" wrote in message
"Janet" wrote in message

om...

Gareee© 29-09-2004 09:55 PM

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message

In S. Ontario, with temperatures down to -25C, I could keep a hole open
with
a 15W aquarium air pump and one of the long (6") air stones, suspended
6-12" below the waterline.

Will a fountain run winter long, and also help add oxygen as well?

We have a 2 ft tall gargoyle fountain that might help prevent ice formation,
and increase oxy flow...

Lt. Kizhe Catson 29-09-2004 10:28 PM

MC wrote:

2) I've read bio filters are useless below 50 degree. So I won't run
it. Is it better to remove it from the pond, or just leave it? I
anticipate the heater will keep my pond around 40. I don't intend on
"heating" it, just keeping it from freezing solid.

40? _That_ is some amount of heat. If an aquarium heater works at all,
your surface temperature is going to be within a degree or two of the
freezing point. Forget the heater, use a bubbler.

How big a bubbler should we get for a 12x12 pond, 2-3 foot deep. We have a
number of small goldfish, but nothing bigger then 5 inches.

In S. Ontario, with temperatures down to -25C, I could keep a hole open with
a 15W aquarium air pump and one of the long (6") air stones, suspended
6-12" below the waterline.

Or go for the belt AND suspenders approach, and use both.

My pond is shallow enough to freeze solid in Ottawa, so for heating I
use a 60'/300W length of eaves de-icing cable (available at HD). I
just spread it roughly around the bottom when I "close down" the pond,
then plug it in when it starts to freeze. I also bought about the
biggest aquarium air pump I could find, and run that straight out the
end of the plastic air-line (I don't use an airstone; I don't know
honestly know whether getting max flow or finer bubbles is more
important). The end of the airline is threaded through a brick so it
sits near the bottom. The hole still sometimes freezes over during
January cold snaps (I'm not too worried, as I figure if the air is
going in, it must also be coming back out somewhere....). Note that
my objective isn't to keep the entire pond open: just to prevent it
from freezing all the way to the bottom, and have one hole for gas
exchange.

-- Kizhe

MC 29-09-2004 11:04 PM

A bubbler won't do anything in really cold weather. The water freezes.
Even running a waterfall, it will freeze in really cold weather.

A 300 watt heater will raise the water temp 10 degrees for a 300
gallon pond as a rule of thumb. I am planning on 2 300 watt heaters.
That should raise the temp about 15-20 degrees with the solar cover.
I would expect at 30 inches below ground with the ground acting as an
insulater, It will keep the temp above 40.

MC 29-09-2004 11:08 PM

I plan on definitely using a air pump to provide oxygen. I tried
suspending one below the surface 2 years from a floating piece of
foam. When it got really cold, it froze and didn't keep a hole open.

One thing that helped keep a hole open and was cheap to run was my
submersible halogen pond light. I suspended it a little below the
surface and it it generated enough heat except in the very coldest
part of winter.

(MC) wrote:
After much research, I've decided to use solar bubble wrap pool cover
floated on the top of my pond and a titanium tube-style heater. The
pool cover will have a border of about an inch to allow gases to
escape. My questions a

1) How do you use one of these acquarium-type heaters? I would imagine
it would burn the pond liner if I just throw it in there. If I suspend
it, I would be concerned of it getting knocked loose. Do I need a
wire/mesh case to keep the fish from burning themselves?

2) I've read bio filters are useless below 50 degree. So I won't run
it. Is it better to remove it from the pond, or just leave it? I
anticipate the heater will keep my pond around 40. I don't intend on
"heating" it, just keeping it from freezing solid.

FYI: I am in zone 5, 500 gallons, 30" deep, 6 Koi

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

MC 29-09-2004 11:13 PM

-25C is about -13F. You must get great sun and be protected from the
wind. I've seen 4 foot high waterfalls freeze in temps that cold. How
does a small air bubbler keep the water from freezing?

MC 29-09-2004 11:18 PM

I thought the cover floating on the surface would help reatin heat at
night and add a lot of heat during the day as the pond gets almost
full sun. My concern is that if there is a big snow, it could take my
cover down to the bottom of the pond.

(MC) wrote:
After much research, I've decided to use solar bubble wrap pool cover
floated on the top of my pond and a titanium tube-style heater. The
pool cover will have a border of about an inch to allow gases to
escape. My questions a

1) How do you use one of these acquarium-type heaters? I would imagine
it would burn the pond liner if I just throw it in there. If I suspend
it, I would be concerned of it getting knocked loose. Do I need a
wire/mesh case to keep the fish from burning themselves?

2) I've read bio filters are useless below 50 degree. So I won't run
it. Is it better to remove it from the pond, or just leave it? I
anticipate the heater will keep my pond around 40. I don't intend on
"heating" it, just keeping it from freezing solid.

FYI: I am in zone 5, 500 gallons, 30" deep, 6 Koi

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

RichToyBox 30-09-2004 12:27 AM

Having the cover suspended, but fully enclosing the pond area, creates a
dead air space above the pond. Still air is a good insulator. The solar
blanket is a good solar collector and does not have to be in contact with
the water to work. I use the solar blanket with two layers of poly sheeting
stretched over a lean-to of 2X4's and with heaters in the skimmer, I
maintain a temperature of 70 degrees most of the winter with a temperature
of about 62 as the low. Fish are fed every day, at least once. Filters are
functional year round.
--
RichToyBox

om...

(MC) wrote:
After much research, I've decided to use solar bubble wrap pool cover
floated on the top of my pond and a titanium tube-style heater. The
pool cover will have a border of about an inch to allow gases to
escape. My questions a

1) How do you use one of these acquarium-type heaters? I would imagine
it would burn the pond liner if I just throw it in there. If I suspend
it, I would be concerned of it getting knocked loose. Do I need a
wire/mesh case to keep the fish from burning themselves?

2) I've read bio filters are useless below 50 degree. So I won't run
it. Is it better to remove it from the pond, or just leave it? I
anticipate the heater will keep my pond around 40. I don't intend on
"heating" it, just keeping it from freezing solid.

FYI: I am in zone 5, 500 gallons, 30" deep, 6 Koi

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Rick 30-09-2004 05:35 AM

"MC" wrote in message
om...
After much research, I've decided to use solar bubble wrap pool cover
floated on the top of my pond and a titanium tube-style heater. The
pool cover will have a border of about an inch to allow gases to
escape. My questions a

1) How do you use one of these acquarium-type heaters? I would imagine
it would burn the pond liner if I just throw it in there. If I suspend
it, I would be concerned of it getting knocked loose. Do I need a
wire/mesh case to keep the fish from burning themselves?

2) I've read bio filters are useless below 50 degree. So I won't run
it. Is it better to remove it from the pond, or just leave it? I
anticipate the heater will keep my pond around 40. I don't intend on
"heating" it, just keeping it from freezing solid.

FYI: I am in zone 5, 500 gallons, 30" deep, 6 Koi

I am no expert at this. In fact I am a first year ponder. I have been
lurking in this group for six months or so and have read several book on
ponding. So for what it's worth here is my advise.
I'm using a bubbler and a stock tank heater as a back up if it looks like
the bubbler can't handle the job. Remember you are only trying to keep the
pond from freezing over completely. I live in central MO 1200 gallons 26"
deep, don't know the zone. I have been told that you should not run the pump
in the winter it will mix all the different layers of water disturbing that
warm layer at the bottom. Yes the warm water is at the bottom. If it where
on top the pond would freeze from the bottom up. This is also why you only
put the bubbler about six " below the service. As fare as the filter you
really don't need it either, you stop feeding the fish at a water temp of 45
degrease . so there is little to no litter from them that the bubbler can't
handle and algae is not going to form at those temps either. The fish stay
at the bottom where the water is warmest and seam to do OK even the Koi.
Don't start to feed the fish again before the water temp goes above 45-50
degrease and will stay there. Fish don't digest food under 45 degrease and
the undigested food can harm, or even kill them.
What I need help on is how do I over winter my Water Lettuce, my Marginal
and Bog plants. I know to put my Lilly's in the deepest part of the pond.
The others I will bring onto the house but don't know how to go about doing
this?

2pods 30-09-2004 11:16 AM

"Rick" wrote in message
nk.net...

"MC" wrote in message
om...

Snippage
What I need help on is how do I over winter my Water Lettuce, my Marginal
and Bog plants. I know to put my Lilly's in the deepest part of the pond.
The others I will bring onto the house but don't know how to go about
doing
this?

I'm going to try my water lettuce in my fish tank, I just wish I'd got it
before my water hyacynth gave up the ghost

Peter

[email protected] 30-09-2004 01:42 PM

I kept a hole open all winter with:
small maxi 1000 water pump with hose running water just over one of those flat
aluminum bird bath heaters http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/mypond/wi...ondheater.html
the pond is a small preformed 220 gallon.
I have kept a hole open with two large round airstones on a kmart double outlet air
pump positioned right above a 100 watt heater.
my problem is when the electricity goes out. that is why I went to the covered pond.
then I decided I didnt like my fish going without food that long. that is when I
bought the 500 watt.
now AES is on BACK ORDER. !!!!!
Ingrid

(MC) wrote:

A bubbler won't do anything in really cold weather. The water freezes.
Even running a waterfall, it will freeze in really cold weather.

A 300 watt heater will raise the water temp 10 degrees for a 300
gallon pond as a rule of thumb. I am planning on 2 300 watt heaters.
That should raise the temp about 15-20 degrees with the solar cover.
I would expect at 30 inches below ground with the ground acting as an
insulater, It will keep the temp above 40.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

S. M. Henning 30-09-2004 02:52 PM

(MC) wrote:

My concern is that if there is a big snow, it could take my
cover down to the bottom of the pond.

Snow and ice float.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to

http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Derek Broughton 30-09-2004 04:18 PM

MC wrote:

A bubbler won't do anything in really cold weather. The water freezes.
Even running a waterfall, it will freeze in really cold weather.

You're kidding me? I could have sworn I had a hole in the ice surface all
winter. A bubbler will work in any weather I've had to encounter in zone 6
- for you, you might have to resort to something else for three or four
days.

A 300 watt heater will raise the water temp 10 degrees for a 300
gallon pond as a rule of thumb.

That might just barely work in an aquarium in a house, where you're not
dealing with a solid-gas phase change. Remember, it takes 40 times the
energy to change ice to water as it does to raise the temperature of water
1 degree.

I am planning on 2 300 watt heaters.
That should raise the temp about 15-20 degrees with the solar cover.
I would expect at 30 inches below ground with the ground acting as an
insulater, It will keep the temp above 40.

Even if I were to accept your numbers, 600W x 24hours x 50days (my guess at
the number of sub-freezing days you're going to be faced with in Zone5) =
720KWh to run those heaters over the winter. Considering that I currently
have an _annual_ electricity consumption of about 500KWh, and your average
household uses 100-200KWh, monthly, that sounds completely out of whack.
--
derek

Jerry Donovan 30-09-2004 04:21 PM

"Rick" wrote in message
nk.net...
I'm using a bubbler and a stock tank heater as a back up if it looks like
the bubbler can't handle the job. Remember you are only trying to keep the
pond from freezing over completely.

Actually, it doesn't even need to keep a hole open in the ice.
The main purpose of the bubbler is to make sure that gases
from rotting vegetation and other wastes do not become
trapped and build up some concentration level of those gases.

If bubbles are being added to the water and they are escaping
somewhere (like around the edges), then they will take the gases
with them.

If the gases are not escaping, the the pond will build up pressure
until it explodes. Stand back! :-) (not really)

Unless your fish need slightly warmer water (and it will only be
slightly), the heater is totally unnecessary and a waste of energy.

I live in northern Colorado. On my little pond the bubbles create
interesting volcano type mounds. When it gets really cold, those
close up and the gases escape around the edges somewhere.

Jerry

Derek Broughton 30-09-2004 04:23 PM

MC wrote:

-25C is about -13F. You must get great sun and be protected from the
wind. I've seen 4 foot high waterfalls freeze in temps that cold. How
does a small air bubbler keep the water from freezing?

In S. Ontario, with temperatures down to -25C, I could keep a hole open
with a 15W aquarium air pump and one of the long (6") air stones,
suspended 6-12" below the waterline.

I don't have a clue :-) I do know that they use bubblers in the Great Lakes
to keep marina berths ice free, and for some of the ferries on Lake
Ontario.

I did have great sun, but I wasn't protected from the wind. In stormy
weather you'd sometimes get enough slush to block the hole faster than the
bubbler could clear it, so it requires a little manual assistance, but it's
storms (generally at close to freezing temps) not extreme cold that are the
bigger problem with the bubbler.
--
derek

Derek Broughton 30-09-2004 04:25 PM

Gareee© wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message

In S. Ontario, with temperatures down to -25C, I could keep a hole open
with
a 15W aquarium air pump and one of the long (6") air stones, suspended
6-12" below the waterline.

Will a fountain run winter long, and also help add oxygen as well?

We have a 2 ft tall gargoyle fountain that might help prevent ice
formation, and increase oxy flow...

I shouldn't think so. A fountain just provides a bigger air-contact
surface, and encourages quicker freezing. A bubbler will create a very
small hole - mine was always in the 2-6" range.
--
derek

Heather 30-09-2004 06:03 PM

Hi Rich:

What is the coldest you get and for how long? We are considering covering
the pond this year. Partly to keep it warmer but mostly to keep six months
of dust, dirt etc out. Should make spring cleaning easier even if it's not
so pretty in the winter.

Heather

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
Having the cover suspended, but fully enclosing the pond area, creates a
dead air space above the pond. Still air is a good insulator. The solar
blanket is a good solar collector and does not have to be in contact with
the water to work. I use the solar blanket with two layers of poly

sheeting
stretched over a lean-to of 2X4's and with heaters in the skimmer, I
maintain a temperature of 70 degrees most of the winter with a temperature
of about 62 as the low. Fish are fed every day, at least once. Filters

are
functional year round.
--
RichToyBox

om...

(MC) wrote:
After much research, I've decided to use solar bubble wrap pool cover
floated on the top of my pond and a titanium tube-style heater. The
pool cover will have a border of about an inch to allow gases to
escape. My questions a

1) How do you use one of these acquarium-type heaters? I would imagine
it would burn the pond liner if I just throw it in there. If I suspend
it, I would be concerned of it getting knocked loose. Do I need a
wire/mesh case to keep the fish from burning themselves?

2) I've read bio filters are useless below 50 degree. So I won't run
it. Is it better to remove it from the pond, or just leave it? I
anticipate the heater will keep my pond around 40. I don't intend on
"heating" it, just keeping it from freezing solid.

FYI: I am in zone 5, 500 gallons, 30" deep, 6 Koi

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Derek Broughton 30-09-2004 06:20 PM

wrote:

about 80 times
http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/wsFALL200...of_matter.html
Ingrid

Remember, it takes 40 times the
energy to change ice to water as it does to raise the temperature of water
1 degree.

drat. It's been way too long since high school.
--
derek

George 30-09-2004 07:41 PM

"MC" wrote in message
om...
I had a pond deicer last year. It didn't work in Chicago. I wound up
having to bring the fish in at the last minute. Also, I believe
Chicago is too cold for a pond of my depth without a heater. A decicer
does nothing to the water temperature at the bottom of the pond where
the fish are. Koi do not hibernate. Ultra cold water is not good for
them.

That is why ponds should be dug to at least six inches below the frost line - to
insure that they don't freeze completely solid. As for ultra cold water, I
don't know what you mean by this, as water freezes at 32 F. My pond, with a
de-icer, only had about 1/16th of an inch of ice on if for about two days last
year, and that was only at one end of the pond. The water below the surface
never got below 39 degrees, and my Koi, goldfish, and channel catfish all did
just fine. I didn't lose any fish at all. My pond is 45" deep (18" above
ground, 27" below), while the frost line here in Louisville is at 22". Koi will
stop eating below a certain temperature (some say below 50-54 degrees F). Mine
stopped eating below 50 F. So while they may not hibernate in the sense that a
bear will hibernate, they do become lethargic, and greatly reduce their
activity. This is normal behavior for temperate fish in winter.

"George" wrote in message
om...

George 30-09-2004 07:57 PM

"MC" wrote in message
om...
Again, if the combination of your climate and depth of your pond
allows, a deicer is great, but I don't think it fits all situations.
Contrary to what many people think, Koi don't hibernate.

Below 50-54 F they will stop, or greatly reduce their feeding (most of the
microbes that aid in digestion go dormant under winter conditions, so unless the
food is easy to digest, they won't get much benefit from it anyway) and greatly
reduce their activity. Whether that is called hibernation or not, it is a
normal reaction of temperate fish to winter conditions. Mine did just that, and
they managed last winter just fine. If the water temperature was above 50 F, I
threw in a little food. If not, I left them alone. Fish can go for weeks
without eating in winter because of their reduced metabolism. They are, after
all, cold blooded. As for the de-icer, I agree that they don't work in all
conditions. But they certainly will not work efficiently in most any cold
region if the depth of the pond is above the recommended depth for a given
region (usually six inches or more below the frost line). That is a
design/construction issue. If this is the case with your pond, then you may
have to spend more money on alternative heating systems, which can be expensive
both to purchase, and to operate. Either that, or be prepared to remove your
fish from the pond and bring them inside for the winter (not a good choice, but
maybe the only one in some cases).

"George" wrote in message
"Janet" wrote in message

om...