Old 06-10-2004, 02:14 PM
Crashj

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:48:45 GMT, Crashj
wrote:
OAT today never got over 65F
Pond is right at 60F on North side of house, sun after noon only.
String algae is growing, uneaten?
Minnows do not go after flake food on surface with the old enthusiasm.
USDA Zone 6a.

Huge drop this morning.
Frost on all the rooftops and the pond at 48*F
Should I turn the pump off?
--
Crashj
Old 06-10-2004, 03:16 PM
Bill Stock

wrote:
OAT today never got over 65F
Pond is right at 60F on North side of house, sun after noon only.
String algae is growing, uneaten?
Minnows do not go after flake food on surface with the old enthusiasm.
USDA Zone 6a.

Huge drop this morning.
Frost on all the rooftops and the pond at 48*F
Should I turn the pump off?
--
Crashj

I had the same question for Ingrid. I believe she said that she was turning
off her waterfall, as the exposure to the cool night air would cool the
pond. I would imagine the fountain would be even worse. I was thinking of
leaving the pump running just under the surface with the fountain head
removed. This would still provide some aeration, but would not have the same
cooling effect.

Old 06-10-2004, 11:14 PM
Barbara2245

"aktgibbs" wrote in message t...
82 degrees on top at 4:00 p.m. in south MS.

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I took the pond temp today (1 PMish) , because I was concerned about it
being too cold to feed the fish. Turned out to be 54F near the top of the
pond.

I'm in zone 5b in Southern Ontario.

The air temps were 77* but the pond is much cooler being that two days
ago the air temp was 47*. The fish are hanging there near the top
trying to soak the heat up. The fish are not begging for food. The
water lettuce is still doing fine but the rest of the garden is dead.
The d---ed Asian lady bugs are hatching out. Any door in the sun is to
be avoided so I go out the porch door which is always shaded. I
sprayed a whole can of Yard Guard around the outside of the house. So
much for Zone 4 in Mid-WI.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:19 PM
Ka30P

This morning we had rain, for the first time in a long time. Youngest teenage
son put on jeans instead of shorts to wear to school. Looked at the pond and
decided to get the floating frogbit out this weekend. Have no idea what the
water temps are, thermometers have come and gone around here, mostly gone where
ever the labradors have decided to store them and I've given up trying to keep
one. When jj stops feeding I stop feeding.

kathy :-)
zone 7, SE WA state
Old 07-10-2004, 12:36 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

What a difference a warm night makes. Shady ponds have been sitting at 55F
for several days. Overcast moved in last night, low didn't get down below
61F, so ponds were back up to 60F by this afternoon.

K30, I'm only feeding once/day now, wheat germ spring/fall type stuff
and/or peas. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 07-10-2004, 07:44 PM
Cam

Bill Stock wrote:
I took the pond temp today (1 PMish) , because I was concerned about

it
being too cold to feed the fish. Turned out to be 54F near the top of

the
pond.

I'm in zone 5b in Southern Ontario.

Oct 6 late afternoon in Toronto, pond temp 51F

Cam

Old 08-10-2004, 03:53 AM
Nedra

Temps on pond vary from day to day - today up to 62 degrees. Air temp today
was 82 degrees. I still have
everything running throughout the day. At night I lift the airstones up to
about 6 inches
from the surface. On very cool nights... about 35 to 40, I turn off the
waterfall.

I ordered KoiZyme today. Figure I can use it until December/January.
Should
help ease the fish over the springtime nasties (which thankfully, my fish
have never
had any probs)

Nedra

"Cam" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 08-10-2004, 09:07 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I ordered KoiZyme today. Figure I can use it until December/January.
Should help ease the fish over the springtime nasties (which thankfully, my fish
have never had any probs) Nedra

I'm more sold on this stuff than I ever was on BZT and you know how sold I
was on that. ;o) Especially if one has more water garden w/koi than koi
pond. In that WGs have pots w/edges and rocks around the rim (if not in the
pond) so the pond looks more landscaped in, rather than swimming pool like.

So.... this year I purchased 2 qts for my 1500 pond. I did the math, how
many weeks of season at the different temps and how much product I would
need. I never missed a week and am quite surprised how poor my math was, as
I just opened the 2nd quart last weekend..... Better too much than not
enough though.

Anyway, my wonderings are, since I've used this all spring/summer/fall, I
don't think there is such a need for me to feed Romet B this fall. ~ jan
Started the transfer of fantails from outside to in today

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 10-10-2004, 03:36 AM
Nedra

Jan, I was wondering if I should go ahead and use BZT too? I think you
have
given me the answer. And to think I just got the 8oz of BZT! :O)
I will definitely refrigerate this new bottle of KoiZyme I ordered. It
should
stay 'fresher' this way.

Nedra

Old 10-10-2004, 07:43 PM
Derek Broughton

Nedra wrote:

Temps on pond vary from day to day - today up to 62 degrees. Air temp
today

Was swimming this afternoon. 17C (62F). That's a little bracing, but I
firmly believe that this salt-water pond of mine is intended for swimming
from Victoria Day (your Memorial Day) to Thanksgiving (which, thankfully is
this weekend, not the end of November), so I have to make the plunge. At
least I'm not one of those nuts who cuts a hole in the ice on New Year's
day.
--
derek

Old 11-10-2004, 03:12 PM
Nedra

Derek ... you are the hearty one!!
All I gotta say is BRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Nedra