Old 16-10-2004, 10:33 PM
Alex Woodward

"Hal" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 19:20:12 GMT, "Alex Woodward" wrote:

I am getting conflicting advice when to stop feeding fish. Some say stop
feeding fish when they stop eating, while others say stop feeding when the
water temperature falls to 50F or below.

Which is it?

There are several opinions.
I've always trusted Purina because they have been manufacturing stock
animal feed a long time. Here is what they say:
http://www.mazuri.com/winter-koi-feeding.htm

I usually feed once a day if they will come up to eat, but my water
rarely gets below 40F and never gets more than a sliver of ice which
won't last a week and my fish don't stay inactive very long.

You are going to have to weed through the posts and make up your own
mind. I enjoy feeding mine and haven't lost any figuring it out and
I wish the best for you.

Regards,

Hal Zone 8

Many thanks.

Alex

Old 16-10-2004, 11:39 PM
George

wrote in message
I really doubt that koi and GF can digest wheat germ. it is mostly a complex
carb
which they dont digest. OTOH, it is bulk. Ingrid

Be sure to ony feed them easily digestible food
in the winter (preferably something that is mostly made of wheat germ, as it
will give them the most of the nutritian they need and is easily digested).

If you look at the literature, that is what has always been recommended. And
every manufacturer of food for koi sell a product that is primarily wheat germ,
and sell it as food for use during winter months. Go figure.

Old 17-10-2004, 05:14 AM

yeah. I know. they also recommend mixing tank water into the bag water when
introducing fish. OTOH, food manufacturers are in the business of selling food.
Ingrid

"George" wrote:
If you look at the literature, that is what has always been recommended. And
every manufacturer of food for koi sell a product that is primarily wheat germ,
and sell it as food for use during winter months. Go figure.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 17-10-2004, 05:18 AM

short gut and no stomach. at 68o or so food is in and out in 4-5 hours.
http://www.akca.org/kht/nutrit.pdf
Ingrid

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
My understanding is, koi have a very long gut, no real tummy. ;o)

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 18-10-2004, 05:07 AM
Tom L. La Bron

George et al,

The food manufacturers are correct in providing Fall/Winter foods for KOI
and Goldfish. Ingrid does not know what she is talking about. Wheat Germ
is a main ingredient in these foods because the Wheat Germ is one of the
most digestiable foods for the fish at colder temperatures, plus is is about
30% simple proteins for the fish to use readily. In addition, wheat germ
also provides about 55% simple carbohydrates for the fish to turn in to
muscle fats to store in their tissues to tid them over for the long cold
winter.

The Higher protein foods that Ingrid is always saying the fish need produce
fats also but they produce complex fats and have a trendency to accumulate
around the heart, liver, etc. These fats are not readily available for the
fish to use as winter stores for energy and the simple carbohydrates supply
the simpler fats that accumuate in the tissues that are easily accessible
when the fish needs it for winter engery.

All Japanese and Chinese breeders and collectors of KOI and Goldfish who
keep their fish outside through the winters always feed their fish foods
with carbohydrates in order for the fish to build up tissue fats for winter
use. Wheat Germ, over the years, has become one of the components that
experienced people have used for years.

Wheat Germ is good for the fish, especially if the fish is staying out side
for the winter where water temperatures get into the forties.

Tom L.L.

Old 18-10-2004, 11:21 AM
George

"Tom L. La Bron" wrote in message
[...]

Oh, I agree with you 100%, otherwise I wouldn't have suggested wheat germ.

winter feeding fish *muffin* Ponds 4 18-10-2003 03:12 PM
Feeding fish: surface vs. deep JGW Ponds 6 09-09-2003 12:09 AM
Feeding fish John Rutz Ponds 16 15-05-2003 05:08 AM
Feeding fish in planted tank Artur Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:24 AM
Feeding fish in planted tank Artur Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 11-03-2003 06:45 PM