Old 24-10-2004, 09:34 PM
bluegill phil

So as THD increases power use decreases?

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:20:17 -0300, Derek Broughton
wrote:

bluegill phil wrote:

You should add more valves on the outlet to divide the flow . Let the
pump push only as much as it takes to reach the top of your falls by
diverting pressure somewhere else. You may pump more water but for
less wasted pump life and power

If I understand you correctly, you're suggesting that you should run the
pump at full flow to save energy. This isn't actually the way these pumps
work. If you restrict the output they use _less_ energy than if you run
them wide open. Less wasted pump life and power. It seems
counterintuitive, but it's true.

Old 25-10-2004, 03:47 PM
Derek Broughton

wrote:

bluegill phil wrote:

You should add more valves on the outlet to divide the flow . Let the
pump push only as much as it takes to reach the top of your falls by
diverting pressure somewhere else. You may pump more water but for
less wasted pump life and power

If I understand you correctly, you're suggesting that you should run the
pump at full flow to save energy. This isn't actually the way these pumps
work. If you restrict the output they use _less_ energy than if you run
them wide open. Less wasted pump life and power. It seems
counterintuitive, but it's true.

THD? TDH? Total Head, anyway. Yes. To the point that it should use the
least power when you have sufficient head to get no flow.

I tried to find some of the old discussions on this topic. About the best I
could come up with is a thread:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=po...aol.com&rnum=1

If you have trouble with that link, google for 'pond pump power consumption
head "power factor"'. Read anything by Rod Fairlee.

Whatever happened to Rod, anyway? He seems to have stopped posting about
the same time I did.
--
derek
Old 25-10-2004, 05:24 PM
Nedra

yep... right you are derek, on all counts. Jan out in SE Washington state
knows where he
is ... sorry I don't
Nedra

wrote:

bluegill phil wrote:

You should add more valves on the outlet to divide the flow . Let the
pump push only as much as it takes to reach the top of your falls by
diverting pressure somewhere else. You may pump more water but for
less wasted pump life and power

If I understand you correctly, you're suggesting that you should run the
pump at full flow to save energy. This isn't actually the way these

pumps
work. If you restrict the output they use _less_ energy than if you run
them wide open. Less wasted pump life and power. It seems
counterintuitive, but it's true.

THD? TDH? Total Head, anyway. Yes. To the point that it should use the
least power when you have sufficient head to get no flow.

I tried to find some of the old discussions on this topic. About the best

could come up with is a thread:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=po...ad+%22power +
factor%22&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=20010721125459.01949.00000791%40nso-fu.aol

Water flow rate RichToyBox Ponds 2 27-10-2004 05:27 PM
Pipe size vs flow rate Nathan A. Smith Ponds 5 09-08-2004 01:11 AM
Pipe size vs flow rate Nathan A. Smith Ponds 0 08-08-2004 02:34 AM
Pipe size vs flow rate Nathan A. Smith Ponds 0 08-08-2004 02:34 AM
Flow rate into Dupla CO2 Reaktor 400 Poe Lim Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 23-06-2003 04:44 AM