Old 17-10-2004, 12:10 AM
Nathan A. Smith

Default Battle between HailStorm and Pond Plants

And no, my pond plants didn't win....

I was wondering if anyone has any hints on how to care for tropical
canna and umbrella plants? I have brought them indoors (after a REALLY
bad hailstorm -- that left most of the leaves on the canna totally ripped
a part). The plants look bad, but seem to ok.

What I would like to know -- what is the best thing to do now? I am not a
gardner, so simple instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Nathan
Old 24-10-2004, 05:30 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

And no, my pond plants didn't win....

I was wondering if anyone has any hints on how to care for tropical
canna and umbrella plants?

What I would like to know -- what is the best thing to do now? I am not a
gardner, so simple instructions would be greatly appreciated.
Nathan

Hi Nathan,

Regarding the T.canna, put it back outside and let frost knock it down, but
not freeze the crown or roots. Then store in the garage, if you have one,
if not, some place cool, but not freezing. You can either knock the dirt
off and store rhizome in dry peat or leave in the pot keeping the dirt
moist, if planted in dirt.

The umbrella palm can be put by a sunny window and kept in a bucket of
water. It's not fussy at all. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~