Old 20-10-2004, 02:52 AM
Ann in Houston

Default butterfly koi better for lilies?

There used to be a general opinion that they were easier on lilies than
regular koi. Who here has an opinion on this? These are fairly big bf koi.

Old 20-10-2004, 03:12 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Ann in Houston" wrote in message
m...
There used to be a general opinion that they were easier on lilies than
regular koi. Who here has an opinion on this? These are fairly big bf

koi.
===========================
I don't find the butterfly koi any different towards plants than regular
koi. I've surrounded all my plant's pots with bird netting or they're rip
the plants right out of their pots.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
Notice in health food shop window:

Old 20-10-2004, 06:51 PM

none of my koi go after my lilies ... but then I feed high quality koi food after Jo
Ann told me her koi stopped ripping up everything after she started feeding the high
quality stuff too.
the exception is... if a piece of that food ends up on top of a lily leaf my koi
breach to get that piece of food they can smell it right thru the leaf.
the other thing is I use river rock over the lily roots with pea gravel between.
Ingrid

"Ann in Houston" wrote:

There used to be a general opinion that they were easier on lilies than
regular koi. Who here has an opinion on this? These are fairly big bf koi.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 24-10-2004, 05:42 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 01:52:01 GMT, "Ann in Houston" wrote:

There used to be a general opinion that they were easier on lilies than
regular koi. Who here has an opinion on this? These are fairly big bf koi.

Well maybe it is the high quality food, as I'm in that boat with Ingrid,
and don't have problems with my koi.... but... I have had some koi be
really bad plant munching machines and they were all short fin variety.
This was before I starting reading labels though.

I think the best accidental experiment was at a dealers up in Spokane. They
had two ponds, one with short fins, one with BF, winter was coming. They
took the lilies they didn't sell and put them in the bottom of these two
ponds. When spring came, there wasn't a lily left in the short fin pond,
whereas the lilies were flourishing in the BF pond.

Then there is also the theory that planting your lilies in clay, without
adequate protection (Ingrid mentioned rocks) will doom them, as koi
love/need something in the clay as a dietary aide. I plant in sand, lay
weed fabric strips over the top and then large river rock. No problems here
with mostly butterfly and 2 short fins. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 24-10-2004, 05:08 PM

I took a lily back to the Pond Lady. She said "watch this" as she waded in and place
the lily in the middle of her pond. All the koi came streaming to the lily and a
feeding frenzy ensued. The mud supports a thriving community, a banquet of critters
and fish are going to root thru it until nothing that smells good is left. Stones
will keep the fish from digging the lilies up if the fish are otherwise getting
proper nutrition. Ingrid

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
Then there is also the theory that planting your lilies in clay, without
adequate protection (Ingrid mentioned rocks) will doom them, as koi
love/need something in the clay as a dietary aide. I plant in sand, lay
weed fabric strips over the top and then large river rock. No problems here
with mostly butterfly and 2 short fins. ~ jan

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List