Old 01-11-2004, 10:06 PM
colin smith

Default UV in winter

Hi
Is it necessary to run the uv over winter I intend to run the filter just to
keep things from freezing.As this will be my first winter with a pond any
advice accepted.

Thanks

Old 02-11-2004, 03:53 AM
Crashj

On or about Mon, 01 Nov 2004 22:06:44 GMT, "colin smith"
wrote something like:
Is it necessary to run the uv over winter I intend to run the filter just to
keep things from freezing.As this will be my first winter with a pond any
advice accepted.

There is no reason to run the UV over the Winter since the algae will
die off until Spring, even in the UK.
I am not sure that running the filter will keep your pond from
freezing. In fact, the strong circulation could make it all freeze
worse. Just because it is moving does not keep water from freezing.

Keep us posted on your results.
--
Crashj

Old 02-11-2004, 07:20 PM

Keeping a low volume pump going in winter, in the UK anyway, is a great
idea. I have had excellent results with it. I make sure that the water take
off from the main pond is close to the pond surface to minimise disturbing
the denser water at 4 deg C that sinks to the bottom. With persistant air
temps of -5 deg C I have had 90% of the pond frozen with ice 2 inches thick
and a very rewarding 10% unfrozen. I don't have to do a thing.

As the air temp drops further, such as in the States and Canada, this system
won't work as even the sea freezes with its waves if the air is cold enough.
For really cold conditions has anyone tried the covered pond idea using
hoops and a small amount of heat as suggested by W Dale posted 31/10/04?

Cold be good plan.

Fireball.