GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   roof liner (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/86127-roof-liner.html)

rtk 07-11-2004 07:13 PM

roof liner

The guys replacing my pond couldn't find a new liner fast enough, so
they used roof liner. They said that in five days it would be okay to
put fish in. Without any filtration? How can the chemicals dissolve?
They seem so overextended that a three day job is taking them 6
half-days spread out over three weeks. So I can't ask them anything if
they're not even here. This hasn't be a cheerful situation. I would
like to get my koi back in the pond, but I don't dare.

Ruth Kazez

RichToyBox 08-11-2004 02:12 AM

Many have used the roof liner with success. I would put my worst fish in as
a sacrificial lamb and see how it does for a few days, and then go ahead and
add the rest of the fish.
--
RichToyBox

Jim and Phyllis Hurley 09-11-2004 11:44 AM

Roof liner works just fine for all of us that have reported on it. Can you
wash it off and flush out the pond before filling it and putting the fish
in? Phyllis and I have roof liner in two of the veggie filters ( 5 x 5 x
1.5 and 8 x 4 x 1.5). No problems ever from them. RichToyBox has a good
suggestion: try a sacrificial lamb and see how it does. You could even get
a healthy goldfish and toss it in.

Good luck.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Benign Vanilla 09-11-2004 03:31 PM

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote in message
. ..

snip
try a sacrificial lamb and see how it does.

snip

Just be warned Jim and Rich don't always think before they post. I mean,
seriously, how long will a lamb survive in a pond? And when it's all done,
what does that tell you about fish? Nothing.

I think they are just being silly, but that just my two cents.

BV.

John Hines 09-11-2004 10:21 PM

rtk wrote:

The guys replacing my pond couldn't find a new liner fast enough, so
they used roof liner. They said that in five days it would be okay to
put fish in. Without any filtration? How can the chemicals dissolve?

Unless they paid extra, for the coating, there wouldn't be any.

That is an extra step, which isn't needed for standard roofing.

rtk 09-11-2004 11:19 PM

John Hines wrote:

The guys replacing my pond couldn't find a new liner fast enough, so
they used roof liner. They said that in five days it would be okay to
put fish in. Without any filtration? How can the chemicals dissolve?

Unless they paid extra, for the coating, there wouldn't be any.

That is an extra step, which isn't needed for standard roofing.

I'm sure they wouldn't pay extra, but they said I would have to wait
five days, so I guess there's something on it. I just don't understand
where anything bad could go, could it actually evaporate. I googled
roof lining for ponds and thought it was very funny that someone said he
always thought it was a bad thing but had read on rec.ponds that it was
just fine and that pond liners were just more or less cosmetic. Anyhow,
I'm going to wait for them to finally come around and put my least
favorite fish in, so if anything goes wrong I can blame them and not
feel guilty. It's a landscaping group and they seem awfully
overextended because they're dragging out a 3 day job to 6 half-days
spread over a month. Driving me batty. No way could I do it because of
the weight of the rocks.

Ruth Kazez

John Hines 10-11-2004 12:14 AM

rtk wrote:

John Hines wrote:

[...]

Take a scrap piece, and put it in a container or bucket. Add water, and
a feeder goldfish, or other sacrificial "lamb".

Do this right after the install, after the water is de-clor'd and force
the issue. If the feeder is still alive after 4-5 days, then it is ok
for the pond, and you can add him (and the rest) to the pond.

RichToyBox 10-11-2004 12:38 AM

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote in message
. ..

Just be warned Jim and Rich don't always think before they post. BV.

Ouch, BV. Ouch.
--
RichToyBox

rtk 10-11-2004 02:02 PM

I have a little rosy red I have named Isaac for the occasion; he's in
the small pond with all the big guys. Today if I can fish him out, so
to speak, I'll try putting him in some water from the big pond with the
week old roof lining. Unless, of course, I receive some last minute
instruction not to do so.

Ruth Kazez

Crashj 11-11-2004 01:02 AM

On or about Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:31:14 -0500, "Benign Vanilla"
wrote something like:

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote in message

snip
try a sacrificial lamb and see how it does.

snip

Just be warned Jim and Rich don't always think before they post. I mean,
seriously, how long will a lamb survive in a pond? And when it's all done,
what does that tell you about fish? Nothing.

I think they are just being silly, but that just my two cents.

Well ,and the bit about tossing in a goldfish . . .
Please try to be close to the pond when you do that.
--
Crashj

~ jan JJsPond.us 11-11-2004 09:36 PM

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:31:14 -0500, "Benign Vanilla" wrote:

Just be warned Jim and Rich don't always think before they post. I mean,
seriously, how long will a lamb survive in a pond? And when it's all done,
what does that tell you about fish? Nothing.

I guess using a "canary" isn't wise either, they tend to fly off when you
toss them towards the pond. ;op ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

rtk 12-11-2004 11:23 AM

The sacrifices of the lamb, goldfish, and canary have been postponed for
a week. The workers came and pretty much finished the pond, but the
water over the falls is making quite a bit of foam, so I was told there
is probably still a lot of chemicals in there. I gather it just
evaporates. The poor koi will have to hang with goldfish and I assume
three frogs a while longer. I hope the frogs didn't sacrifice themselves.

Ruth Kazez

Benign Vanilla 16-11-2004 05:36 PM

"RichToyBox" wrote in message

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote in message
. ..

Just be warned Jim and Rich don't always think before they post. BV.

Ouch, BV. Ouch.

Aww come on Rich. You knew I was kidding. :P

BV.

rtk 18-11-2004 11:00 AM

Three koi were put in the roof-lining pond yesterday. It's before 6
a.m. and too dark to see anything now, but I am very antsy about them.
This weekend I'll take photos and explain all the changes. I have a
couple photos of the work done on the smaller pond he
http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/...dPage/TIP.html

Because it was all an emergency (pond caving in) I let them get started
without an estimate. They never did tell me what kind of costs I was
getting into and I think I've been very naive to allow them to continue
without a price tag. One pond is 250 gallons and the other close to
2000. They were already dug, of course, but they added a lot of rocks
and new filter systems, so I think this is going to be a huge number. Is
there any site that gives estimates that I can compare with my future bill?

Ruth Kazez

rtk 19-11-2004 09:36 PM

The koi have survived.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/...dPage/TIP.html

and the final pics today:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/...isedPonds.html

Pose for their photos, the koi did NOT, but I took a pic of them way
down there. Apparently the roof liner's evil stuff dissolved.

Ruth Kazez

klj 18-02-2007 05:12 AM

roof liner

In article , says...
The guys replacing my pond couldn't find a new liner fast enough, so
they used roof liner. They said that in five days it would be okay to
put fish in. Without any filtration? How can the chemicals dissolve?
They seem so overextended that a three day job is taking them 6
half-days spread out over three weeks. So I can't ask them anything if
they're not even here. This hasn't be a cheerful situation. I would
like to get my koi back in the pond, but I don't dare.

Ruth Kazez

I've been in water gardening since 1991, I recently left the business
when the chain I worked for closed down, and I can assure you that there
is no difference between roofing rubber and "pond liner", I even went so
far having this debate many times to contact a gentleman in Canada, some
polymer expert with a lot of letters after his name, no danger, zip,
nada, squat.

I attended a seminar by a comany out of Kansas or Missouri in 05, had
this discussion with the rep, his pitch was tell people that he didn't
know if roofing was bad or good and that OUR stuff is guaranteed.

Contact Firestone for instance and ask them for the warranty details.

1) Prove the liner killed the fish

2) If you can, they'll replace it with what, the same type of liner that
you just claimed killed your fish.

I remember when this debate was as volatile as PC v Mav (don't start),
but you really won't find any valid evidence that should discourage
anyone from using the roofing rubber.

BTW, if they used roofing rubber, they owe you a refund, it's generally
about 60% of what the "fish safe" stuff sells for. And there's no need
to wait for days because of the liner, the worst that's on it is a bit
of talc they used as a release agent.

~ jan 18-02-2007 06:46 AM

roof liner

In article , says...
The guys replacing my pond couldn't find a new liner fast enough, so
they used roof liner. They said that in five days it would be okay to
put fish in. Without any filtration? How can the chemicals dissolve?
They seem so overextended that a three day job is taking them 6
half-days spread out over three weeks. So I can't ask them anything if
they're not even here. This hasn't be a cheerful situation. I would
like to get my koi back in the pond, but I don't dare.

Ruth Kazez

With use of any liner, one should rinse well. If that wasn't done, fill,
drain and fill again. The biggest thing you have to worry about is making
sure the water quality stays good after you put the fish back in. ~ jan

Zebulon 18-02-2007 03:54 PM

roof liner

*NOTE: There are two Zebulons posting on this group.*

"klj" wrote in message
. ..

brevity snip

BTW, if they used roofing rubber, they owe you a refund, it's generally
about 60% of what the "fish safe" stuff sells for. And there's no need
to wait for days because of the liner, the worst that's on it is a bit
of talc they used as a release agent.

=======================
Spread the roofing liner, hose well and use. From what I've seen anything
made explicitly for the ornamental pond crowd is overpriced, from liner to
pond "salt" to the aquatic plants they sell us to foods we feed our fish.
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Concerned Aquaria Group Members 18-02-2007 04:22 PM

roof liner

Dreamaing or halucinating carol, Dream on you clueless idiot.

Just have the pond crew scrub and wash off that liner well before
install. Exposure to the sun will help. If possible have them drop off
liner before hand and roll it out to sunlight exposure and weater
until they can install it. Then fill it (no need to use dechlor) and
turn on pumps and allow water to circulat for a bit, then drain and
refill using dechlor.......you should be good to go. There are a lot
of ponds made using roof liner and they do just fine with a general
hosing off before hand and a good fill and drain and a refill .....

Of they are telling you they are usuing roofing liner up front and yu
agree on a price thats fine. Often times roof liner can be had in
heavier thickness than pond liners. At least they were honest and up
front with telling yu they are usuing roofing liner. As to a refund,
etc, well thats just our resident knowit all trol running her mouth as
usual. You know what you need to do in terms of refunds or your
contract, and there is no need to discuss yur private area in public
at our resident trolls desire. The info she gives is nothing more than
not being able to resist the urge to repy to any and all topics with
little or no actual info to give that is pertinent to the post.

Have fun and good luck.....

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 09:54:15 -0600, xxxxxxxx
wrote:

*NOTE: There is only one dumbass named Zebulon posting on this group.*

"klj" wrote in message
. com...

brevity snip

Typical snip for her, as she does not want correct good info mixed
with her so called good info.......it takes away her attention.

-------