Old 16-11-2004, 11:25 PM
Ka30P

Default Fish as pets

Sympathy for the guppy: PETA campaign pitches fish as smart and sensitive
Tuesday November 16, 2004
By DAVID CRARY
AP National Writer
NEW YORK (AP) Touting tofu chowder and vegetarian sushi as alternatives,
animal-rights activists have launched a novel campaign arguing that fish
contrary to stereotype are intelligent, sensitive animals no more deserving of
being eaten than a pet dog or cat.

Called the Fish Empathy Project, the campaign reflects a strategy shift by
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals as it challenges a diet component
widely viewed as nutritious and uncontroversial.

``No one would ever put a hook through a dog's or cat's mouth,'' said Bruce
Friedrich, PETA's director of vegan outreach. ``Once people start to understand
that fish, although they come in different packaging, are just as intelligent,
they'll stop eating them.''

The campaign is in its infancy and will face broad skepticism. Major groups
such as the American Heart Association recommend fish as part of a healthy
diet; some academics say it is wrong to portray the intelligence and pain
sensitivity of fish as comparable to mammals.

Rest of the article can be found he
http://wcco.com/national/FishEmpathy...rces_news_html
Old 17-11-2004, 12:42 AM
george

"Ka30P" wrote in message
Sympathy for the guppy: PETA campaign pitches fish as smart and sensitive
Tuesday November 16, 2004
By DAVID CRARY
AP National Writer
NEW YORK (AP) Touting tofu chowder and vegetarian sushi as alternatives,
animal-rights activists have launched a novel campaign arguing that fish
contrary to stereotype are intelligent, sensitive animals no more deserving of
being eaten than a pet dog or cat.

Despite the fact that fish oil is just about the best food for the human heart,
and there is no substitute.

Called the Fish Empathy Project, the campaign reflects a strategy shift by
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals as it challenges a diet component
widely viewed as nutritious and uncontroversial.

``No one would ever put a hook through a dog's or cat's mouth,'' said Bruce
Friedrich, PETA's director of vegan outreach. ``Once people start to
understand
that fish, although they come in different packaging, are just as intelligent,
they'll stop eating them.''

Next, he'll be having elderly ladies brought up on charges of animal cruelty for
stepping on ants on sidewalks.

The campaign is in its infancy and will face broad skepticism. Major groups
such as the American Heart Association recommend fish as part of a healthy
diet; some academics say it is wrong to portray the intelligence and pain
sensitivity of fish as comparable to mammals.

Rest of the article can be found he
http://wcco.com/national/FishEmpathy...rces_news_html

Brought to you by the same people who fire bombed a research laboratory,
jeapardizing the lives of the researchers working there and the firemen who had
to put the fire out. Brought to you by the same people who made and distributed
an "educational" video on how to make homemade incendiary bombs for use in said
firebombings. Watch for them to picket your garden ponds.

Old 17-11-2004, 01:30 PM
groovy

"Ka30P" wrote in message
Sympathy for the guppy: PETA campaign pitches fish as smart and sensitive
Tuesday November 16, 2004
By DAVID CRARY
AP National Writer
NEW YORK (AP) Touting tofu chowder and vegetarian sushi as alternatives,
animal-rights activists have launched a novel campaign arguing that fish
contrary to stereotype are intelligent, sensitive animals no more

deserving of
being eaten than a pet dog or cat.

My Shubunkin are as dumb as a bag of hammers. There is no way they
can fool me with that one. Now if they had said that cats are as dumb as
fish, I could get behind that idea.

From: "groovy"
My Shubunkin are as dumb as a bag of hammers. There is no way they
can fool me with that one. Now if they had said that cats are as dumb as
fish, I could get behind that idea.

I always find it curious that people think intelligence has something to do
with the value of one's life. If that were the case than half the people in
the world should be eaten along with the fish. We eat pigs every day which
are known to be at least as smart as dogs and yet eating dogs would be a
jailable offense to most people.

I am not a supporter of PETA and I eat meat all the time but I am certainly
not under the illusion that just because I am smarter and more adaptable
than most animals, that I am somehow a supreme being whose life is much more
valuable than theirs. I think respect for animal life is a good thing and
shows that at least some in society are moving toward cooperation instead of
competition. I believe it is the only way we will advance as a society.

This is not a personal attack, just an observation.

Old 17-11-2004, 04:50 PM
Derek Broughton

Ka30P wrote:

Sympathy for the guppy: PETA campaign pitches fish as smart and sensitive

This thread is mistitled. PETA doesn't believe in pets. They call it a
form of slavery.
--
derek

Old 17-11-2004, 05:04 PM
Ka30P

derek wrote PETA doesn't believe in pets. They call it a
form of slavery.

Considering the amount of care and feeding and beck and calling I do around
here, I think it's probably the other way around.

kathy :-)
3000 gallon pond
800 gallon frog bog
home of the watergardening labradors
zone 7 SE WA state
Old 17-11-2004, 05:30 PM
Crashj

"figaro" wrote in message

From: "groovy"

Which one? figaro, Ka30P, or groovy?
Three posters with contrasting views?
That is what trimming is all about.
--
Crashj
Old 17-11-2004, 05:58 PM
Derek Broughton

Ka30P wrote:

derek wrote PETA doesn't believe in pets. They call it a
form of slavery.

Considering the amount of care and feeding and beck and calling I do
around here, I think it's probably the other way around.

Yes. Porcupine-puppy has now had four run-ins, involving huge vet bills.
The latest one resulted in a flare-up of an abscessed tooth, and more
surgery. Now she's "convalescing", which involves a great deal of "beck
and calling", plus theatrics when it comes time for her antibiotics.
Slaves don't get it so good.
--
derek

Fish as pets Ka30P Ponds 0 16-11-2004 11:25 PM
Genetically Altered Fish as Pets? BenignVanilla Ponds 0 03-12-2003 03:43 PM
Genetically Altered Fish as Pets? BenignVanilla Ponds 0 03-12-2003 03:43 PM
Genetically Altered Fish as Pets? BenignVanilla Ponds 0 03-12-2003 03:32 PM
Genetically Altered Fish as Pets? BenignVanilla Ponds 0 03-12-2003 03:32 PM