GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Koi fish huddle Question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/87158-koi-fish-huddle-question.html)

Briguy 26-11-2004 05:00 PM

Koi fish huddle Question

Have recently noticed in thje late afternoon, sneeking up on the 6000
gallon pond, that the Koi fish gather at the surface in a tight huddle
next to each other. These 25 fish range from 2 to about 10 years old.
It is almost a mystical sight. Of course when you walk up to the pond
and they see you, they scatter and go about their routines. Are they
communicating?

Any replies would be welcome.

[email protected] 26-11-2004 07:14 PM

if you have good aeration in the pond, probably mystical. fish will go up into fish
bridges out of the water. no idea why they would do that. they go up and look
around. Ingrid

(Briguy) wrote:

Have recently noticed in thje late afternoon, sneeking up on the 6000
gallon pond, that the Koi fish gather at the surface in a tight huddle
next to each other. These 25 fish range from 2 to about 10 years old.
It is almost a mystical sight. Of course when you walk up to the pond
and they see you, they scatter and go about their routines. Are they
communicating?

Any replies would be welcome.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Benign Vanilla 27-11-2004 04:47 AM

"Briguy" wrote in message
om...
Have recently noticed in thje late afternoon, sneeking up on the 6000
gallon pond, that the Koi fish gather at the surface in a tight huddle
next to each other. These 25 fish range from 2 to about 10 years old.
It is almost a mystical sight. Of course when you walk up to the pond
and they see you, they scatter and go about their routines. Are they
communicating?

Any replies would be welcome.

I have similar results, but I think I can explain mine. My pond is lined on
2/3 of it's sides by turf, so very often the fish are up there fighting for
the roots, or whatever is in the roots.

BV.