Old 01-12-2004, 02:16 PM
Scott M.

Default cold fish

I have a pond that is around 3 1/2 feet deep. Right now, my thermometer
indicates that it is 0.1 degrees Celcius down there at the bottom. The Koi
and Goldfish
are still alive but isn't that a little too cold? It's not even winter yet.
I have a bubbler to keep the surface clear and a floating 1250 Watt heater
if I need it later, but I was thinking of lowering a low wattage heater to
the bottom of the pond just to make sure the poor fish don't freeze. Is this
a good idea?

BTW, my pond photos are at
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/murchi...mK9ICBHtrk1kvG

Scott

Old 01-12-2004, 03:05 PM
Ka30P

Scott wrote
I was thinking of lowering a low wattage heater to
the bottom of the pond just to make sure the poor fish don't freeze. Is this
a good idea?

Hi Scott, you've got a kind heart :-)
Mother Nature designed fish to survive the cold. As long as they don't freeze
solid they'll be fine. You've done the right thing in preparing to keep a hole
open in the ice
with your bubbler and floating heater on standby.

kathy :-)
3000 gallon pond
800 gallon frog bog
home of the watergardening labradors
zone 7 SE WA state

Old 01-12-2004, 05:45 PM
Derek Broughton

Ka30P wrote:

Scott wrote
I was thinking of lowering a low wattage heater to
the bottom of the pond just to make sure the poor fish don't freeze. Is
this a good idea?

Hi Scott, you've got a kind heart :-)
Mother Nature designed fish to survive the cold. As long as they don't
freeze solid they'll be fine. You've done the right thing in preparing to
keep a hole open in the ice
with your bubbler and floating heater on standby.

And there are even stories of goldfish surviving being frozen in the ice -
but rpg doesn't advise trying it.
--
derek

Old 01-12-2004, 06:15 PM
Bill Stock

"Scott M." wrote in message
I have a pond that is around 3 1/2 feet deep. Right now, my thermometer
indicates that it is 0.1 degrees Celcius down there at the bottom. The Koi
and Goldfish
are still alive but isn't that a little too cold? It's not even winter

yet.
I have a bubbler to keep the surface clear and a floating 1250 Watt heater
if I need it later, but I was thinking of lowering a low wattage heater to
the bottom of the pond just to make sure the poor fish don't freeze. Is

this
a good idea?

BTW, my pond photos are at

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/murchi...mK9ICBHtrk1kvG

Scott

Hi Scott,

The general advice is to put in a bubbler to keep the ice open. You might
also need a floating de-icer in colder climes.

However, being paranoid. I built a cover for mine and put a 300 watt heater
on the bottom. The heater hasn't kicked in yet, as the pond is still 42F. My
pond is not quite as deep as yours, so I was concerned that it would become
a solid cube of ice in January. If this works out well, I may try to raise
the temperature above 50 earlier in the spring, so I can start feeding
earlier. Although I suspect 300 watts won't be sufficient.

Where are you located BTW?

Old 01-12-2004, 07:47 PM
Scott M.

Hi all,

I am located in Carp, Ontario, which is now part of Ottawa. I am on a two
acre rural subdivision lot.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Where are you located BTW?

Old 01-12-2004, 10:32 PM
Nedra

Hi Scott,
I remember the time my thermometer dropped to 19 degrees F. I wondered why
the pond wasn't frozen solid. I have 13 koi... and at that time as many
goldfish.
Someone here suggested I buy another thermometer... I did and that solved
the
problem. lol

My pond stays about 35 degrees F. all thru the winter here in Missouri.

Nedra

Old 01-12-2004, 11:29 PM
RichToyBox

You may want to check the calibration of your thermometer in a glass of ice
water. The bottom of the pond should be nearer 39 degrees at this time of
year, or possibly even warmer. Ground temperature should be heating the
bottom of the pond, some.
--
RichToyBox

Old 02-12-2004, 01:02 AM
Crashj

On or about Wed, 1 Dec 2004 14:47:06 -0500, "Scott M."
wrote something like:
I am located in Carp, Ontario, which is now part of Ottawa.

How could you NOT have a pond . . .It would be your civic duty, eh?
I especially like your layout with the shallow edges for plants.
Best of luck with the Winter.
--
Crashj

Cold, Cold, Cold Dave Hill United Kingdom 18 12-12-2010 01:29 PM
How Cold Is Too Cold For Leaf Lettuce? EVP MAN Gardening 12 10-05-2010 08:05 PM
Cold Fish (Update?) Bill Stock Ponds 0 04-12-2004 03:18 PM
cold fish Scott M. Ponds 0 01-12-2004 02:16 PM
[IBC] cold cold in the north Andre Slivitzly Bonsai 0 15-01-2004 02:32 PM