Old 16-02-2005, 01:40 PM
Yabbadoo

Default i Tronic blanket weed control

Anyone got experiemce of this new device?
The few references I've seen so far say
1/ It's expensive
2/ It's dangerous to koi
3/ It works on blanket weed

Jury seems to be split 50/50 on how good it is. Comments?

Old 16-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Stephen Henning

"Yabbadoo" wrote:

Anyone got experiemce of this new device?
The few references I've seen so far say
1/ It's expensive
2/ It's dangerous to koi
3/ It works on blanket weed

Jury seems to be split 50/50 on how good it is. Comments?

The i-tronic works by creating copper ions in the water. Many
algaecides are based on copper.

1) the i-tronic kills algae which produces oxygen, so the water may
become oxygen deficient, suffocating fish.

2) if you have added salt to the water, you must refresh the water.
Sodium (kitchen salt or sea salt) will combine with the copper ions.
These bonds can be precipitated on the gills of the fish. Especially
cypriniformes, including koi, are very sensitive to this.

3) the i-tronic kills snails. The copper minerals are fatal for
molluscs, even in small amounts.

This is from the i-tronic manual, page 6 at:

http://www.oasis-water-gardens.com/itronic.pdf

"If all else fails, read the directions."

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 17-02-2005, 12:53 AM
Yabbadoo

Stephen, from the other side of the big pond, many thanks - most of the info
I wanted is in that pdf file!

Noted it is the "GB" (i.e British) manual - even if it is in fractured
English.

Do you happen to know US cost of
1/ The unit itself (the smallest one, for 5000 liters)
2/ The cost of the replacement anode

I'm curious. I know the UK cost (VERY expensive) of the unit, but, not the
replacement copper anode - and they say it needs replacing once a season on
average. I can calculate the probable cost in Sterling from the US price.

Thanks again, Len

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news

Old 17-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Stephen Henning

"Yabbadoo" wrote:

I'm curious. I know the UK cost (VERY expensive) of the unit, but, not the
replacement copper anode - and they say it needs replacing once a season on
average. I can calculate the probable cost in Sterling from the US price.

That website was all I found. I am not interested since I use snails.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6

Old 20-02-2005, 02:50 PM
Yabbadoo

OK, thanks anyway. Some pond! (I'm green with envy!) Haven't a clue what
Zone 6 is, but it's almost certainly something specific to the US so not
curious.

"Yabbadoo" wrote:

I'm curious. I know the UK cost (VERY expensive) of the unit, but, not
the
replacement copper anode - and they say it needs replacing once a season
on
average. I can calculate the probable cost in Sterling from the US price.

That website was all I found. I am not interested since I use snails.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6

Oasis Tronic for blanket weed? Adrian Underwood Ponds 1 01-08-2006 10:04 AM
i tronic Catherine and David C Ponds (alternative) 0 03-03-2005 03:22 PM
i tronic Catherine and David C Ponds 0 03-03-2005 03:22 PM
i Tronic blanket weed control Yabbadoo Ponds 0 16-02-2005 01:40 PM
Blanket weed on my baby water lilies eric United Kingdom 2 22-03-2003 07:32 PM