GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Aquatic plant containers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/91315-aquatic-plant-containers.html)

WDC 22-03-2005 11:49 PM

Aquatic plant containers

I am just about ready to bring my plants up, divide 'em, and repot 'em.
Any thoughts on the advantages or disadvantages of fabric pots? I
hear some saying that fabric is one very good way to go as it allows for
better nutrient absorption.
Thanks for your input.
W. Dale
Colorado Springs, CO

~ jan JJsPond.us 23-03-2005 03:04 AM

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:49:58 -0700, WDC wrote:

I am just about ready to bring my plants up, divide 'em, and repot 'em.
Any thoughts on the advantages or disadvantages of fabric pots? I
hear some saying that fabric is one very good way to go as it allows for
better nutrient absorption.
Thanks for your input.
W. Dale
Colorado Springs, CO

Rippage could be a problem. I use the weed fabric inside a *Dollar Store*
plastic basket 18"X12"X6". This keeps the soil in, but supports the fabric
and gives a flat bottom. The fabric advantage over solid pots, little to no
rotten egg smell (hydrogen sulfide) when you repot, nor the dark staining
of the ooze from anaerobic soil, that gets on your skin and needs bleach,
or days, to get off.

Keep in mind, some plants just can't go in fabric, like cattails and
anything that's an aggressive grower. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Reel McKoi 23-03-2005 03:12 AM

"WDC" wrote in message
I am just about ready to bring my plants up, divide 'em, and repot 'em.
Any thoughts on the advantages or disadvantages of fabric pots? I
hear some saying that fabric is one very good way to go as it allows for
better nutrient absorption.
Thanks for your input.
W. Dale
Colorado Springs, CO

========================
If you mean the stiff plastic mesh pots - they work well but must be lined
with something or the soil oozes out. I like regular pots with a sandy
garden soil. Less oozing of the soil and the plants thrive in them. If
they have no bottom holes I cut a few holes in the bottom. That keeps the
soil in the bottom from turning into a slimy stinking mess no roots grow
into anyway.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

WDC 23-03-2005 03:34 PM

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
[...]

Good points!
Thanks Jan!

WDC 23-03-2005 03:35 PM

Reel McKoi wrote:

"WDC" wrote in message

I am just about ready to bring my plants up, divide 'em, and repot 'em.
Any thoughts on the advantages or disadvantages of fabric pots? I
hear some saying that fabric is one very good way to go as it allows for
better nutrient absorption.
Thanks for your input.
W. Dale
Colorado Springs, CO

========================
If you mean the stiff plastic mesh pots - they work well but must be lined
with something or the soil oozes out. I like regular pots with a sandy
garden soil. Less oozing of the soil and the plants thrive in them. If
they have no bottom holes I cut a few holes in the bottom. That keeps the
soil in the bottom from turning into a slimy stinking mess no roots grow
into anyway.

Makes sense! Think I will keep the plastic pots, put in some hole as
you mentioned and see what happens this year.
Thanks!
W. Dale