Old 22-03-2005, 11:49 PM
WDC

Default Aquatic plant containers

I am just about ready to bring my plants up, divide 'em, and repot 'em.
Any thoughts on the advantages or disadvantages of fabric pots? I
hear some saying that fabric is one very good way to go as it allows for
better nutrient absorption.
Thanks for your input.
W. Dale
Colorado Springs, CO
Old 23-03-2005, 03:04 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:49:58 -0700, WDC wrote:

I am just about ready to bring my plants up, divide 'em, and repot 'em.
Any thoughts on the advantages or disadvantages of fabric pots? I
hear some saying that fabric is one very good way to go as it allows for
better nutrient absorption.
Thanks for your input.
W. Dale
Colorado Springs, CO

Rippage could be a problem. I use the weed fabric inside a *Dollar Store*
plastic basket 18"X12"X6". This keeps the soil in, but supports the fabric
and gives a flat bottom. The fabric advantage over solid pots, little to no
rotten egg smell (hydrogen sulfide) when you repot, nor the dark staining
of the ooze from anaerobic soil, that gets on your skin and needs bleach,
or days, to get off.

Keep in mind, some plants just can't go in fabric, like cattails and
anything that's an aggressive grower. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 23-03-2005, 03:12 AM
Reel McKoi

"WDC" wrote in message
I am just about ready to bring my plants up, divide 'em, and repot 'em.
Any thoughts on the advantages or disadvantages of fabric pots? I
hear some saying that fabric is one very good way to go as it allows for
better nutrient absorption.
Thanks for your input.
W. Dale
Colorado Springs, CO

========================
If you mean the stiff plastic mesh pots - they work well but must be lined
with something or the soil oozes out. I like regular pots with a sandy
garden soil. Less oozing of the soil and the plants thrive in them. If
they have no bottom holes I cut a few holes in the bottom. That keeps the
soil in the bottom from turning into a slimy stinking mess no roots grow
into anyway.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 23-03-2005, 03:34 PM
WDC

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
[...]

Good points!
Thanks Jan!
Old 23-03-2005, 03:35 PM
WDC

Reel McKoi wrote:

"WDC" wrote in message

I am just about ready to bring my plants up, divide 'em, and repot 'em.
Any thoughts on the advantages or disadvantages of fabric pots? I
hear some saying that fabric is one very good way to go as it allows for
better nutrient absorption.
Thanks for your input.
W. Dale
Colorado Springs, CO

========================
If you mean the stiff plastic mesh pots - they work well but must be lined
with something or the soil oozes out. I like regular pots with a sandy
garden soil. Less oozing of the soil and the plants thrive in them. If
they have no bottom holes I cut a few holes in the bottom. That keeps the
soil in the bottom from turning into a slimy stinking mess no roots grow
into anyway.

Makes sense! Think I will keep the plastic pots, put in some hole as
you mentioned and see what happens this year.
Thanks!
W. Dale

Who has good prices on plant containers? Wendy Kelly Budd Ponds 3 20-07-2003 02:22 AM
Who has good prices on plant containers? Wendy Kelly Budd Ponds 0 18-07-2003 09:04 PM
Who has good prices on plant containers? Wendy Kelly Budd Ponds 0 18-07-2003 09:02 PM
Free plant containers LMJ Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
Patio Plant Containers Suzanne Gardening 7 09-02-2003 10:55 PM