Old 26-03-2005, 08:21 PM
Owen

Default fish feeding

The boys were up and feeding on Thursday - all 18 of them. It's the first
spring we've had a pond, and it was wonderful !

John
Victoria BC

Old 26-03-2005, 09:15 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

The boys were up and feeding on Thursday - all 18 of them. It's the first
spring we've had a pond, and it was wonderful !
John
Victoria BC

I hope you checked the water temp prior to feeding? Not only should your
water temp be 50, but it should be 50 for several days so your filter is
ready to deal with a little food. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 28-03-2005, 12:57 AM
Clurrie

Our pond (30 x 65 x 7 feet deep stillwater) is starting to finally break
open too. The trout came up and ate yesterday for the first time in
over a month. Water is 1 degrees Celsius and filter is down to prevent
freezing damage for awhile yet, but the pond's big enough (I hope) to
withstand a light feeding once in a while. We're in the snow melt
period and the pond's getting a lot of fresh input from what flows down
from the lawns anyway. I had to find out how they looked! :O)

They were a little lean and one was sporting what looked like an
infection near the tail (but not a lot of damage yet). Now if the
remainding ice can go and the iris and arrowheads (not to speak of the
waterlilies) come up! Also would like to set up some filtration so I
can feed a bit heavier and fatten them up. Unfortunately (fortunately?)
our (now) 1 foot speckled trout are for more than decorative purposes -
even though they do well at that too....

All that aside, I'm sooooo happy they made it through the iced-up phase.
First overwintering with fish and I wondered if the "stream" and falls
were going to be enough.... Having grown up on a small farm, I have an
unusual and setimental attachment to my animals - even the ones I envite
to supper!

Clurrie
(New Brunswick)
"A pond is a pool of water in which you can see your soul"

Old 29-03-2005, 01:52 AM
Owen

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
The boys were up and feeding on Thursday - all 18 of them. It's the
first spring we've had a pond, and it was wonderful !
John
Victoria BC

I hope you checked the water temp prior to feeding? Not only should
your water temp be 50, but it should be 50 for several days so your
filter is ready to deal with a little food. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

The pond's temp has been 12 C for a week or two now - we've (Southern
Vancouver Island) have had a very gentle Winter.

John

winter feeding fish *muffin* Ponds 4 18-10-2003 03:12 PM
Feeding fish: surface vs. deep JGW Ponds 6 09-09-2003 12:09 AM
Feeding fish John Rutz Ponds 16 15-05-2003 05:08 AM
Feeding fish in planted tank Artur Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:24 AM
Feeding fish in planted tank Artur Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 11-03-2003 06:45 PM