GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   water lilly question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/91516-water-lilly-question.html)

Alex Woodward 27-03-2005 10:24 PM

water lilly question

I have a Lilly from last season. It is 2.5 foot under water, and still has
one leaf left from previous growth. I pruned the rest away after they
deteriorated last late autumn Is it a wise move to remove this last pad,
which hovers around 1 foot below the surface, in order to encourage the new
seasons growth?

Alex

Reel McKoi 27-03-2005 10:59 PM

"Alex Woodward" wrote in message
I have a Lilly from last season. It is 2.5 foot under water, and still has
one leaf left from previous growth. I pruned the rest away after they
deteriorated last late autumn Is it a wise move to remove this last pad,
which hovers around 1 foot below the surface, in order to encourage the

new
seasons growth?

Alex

====================
Leave it unless it's rotting.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Derek Broughton 29-03-2005 06:57 PM

Reel McKoi wrote:

"Alex Woodward" wrote in message
I have a Lilly from last season. It is 2.5 foot under water, and still
has one leaf left from previous growth. I pruned the rest away after they
deteriorated last late autumn Is it a wise move to remove this last pad,
which hovers around 1 foot below the surface, in order to encourage the
new seasons growth?

Leave it unless it's rotting.

Definitely - it's an indicator leaf, and the plant needs that to know when
to send up it's main growth.
--
derek