Old 30-03-2005, 10:11 PM
Mike C

Default Early warmth in Chicago

Two seventy degree days in a row here caused me to poke around my pond.
All my Koi are active and lived. I had covered 98% of my pond with a
pool cover (basically bubblewrap) and used a heater to keep it from
freezing over with 2 airstones.

I tested the water temp last night and it was over 60 (near the top,
depth is 30"). I had a heater in there this winter which I just shut
off yesterday. I fed the Koi lightly, but am wondering if it is too
early to put in the filter. We are looking at lows in the 30s in the
next few weeks and during the day can be 40-70. I am thinking I can
put in the filter and if the water drops below 50-55, the bacteria will
die, but no harm done. Any thoughts?

Old 31-03-2005, 01:51 AM
RichToyBox

The only reason for taking a filter off line, IMO, is to prevent it freezing
solid and breaking. If the filter has water running through it, it is very
difficult to get it to freeze. If a power outage occurs when the
temperatures are very low, it is a possibility. Get it started, and the
bacteria, though slow to grow at lower temperatures will start to develop
the colonies and when the fish wake up and start generating more ammonia, it
will be starting to work.
--
RichToyBox

oups.com...

Old 02-04-2005, 05:15 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:51:21 -0500, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

The only reason for taking a filter off line, IMO, is to prevent it freezing
solid and breaking. If the filter has water running through it, it is very
difficult to get it to freeze. If a power outage occurs when the
temperatures are very low, it is a possibility. Get it started, and the
bacteria, though slow to grow at lower temperatures will start to develop
the colonies and when the fish wake up and start generating more ammonia, it
will be starting to work.

Ditto with RTB. Newest data shows it is better to keep the filter running,
even in northern climes. By passing of waterfalls and slowing the flow is
what a lot of us are doing now. Really helps the start up go smoother in
the spring. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~