GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   the Prodigal Ponder Returns (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/92214-prodigal-ponder-returns.html)

Corey B. Baker 10-04-2005 03:54 AM

the Prodigal Ponder Returns

Hi gang,

It's been over four years since I last lurked this board. I naively and
arrogantly believed that my pond was balenced, maintained, and infallible.
Unfortunately, I did not foresee a large tear forming on the bottom of the
deep end of my pond over the winter. Unfortunately, I did not realized it
until the ice cap, which was hovering supported by the shallow portion,
melted fully. Amazingly, I only lost two fish total (although I'm never
really sure of how many spawn there is from one year to another). All of
the fish were found in a 2' x 2' puddle that was three inches deep; even the
three koi. Luckily, this part must have been below the frost line, although
I don't know if that is possible to prevent them from freezing. I have the
fish over crowded in a preformed pond while I reshape and possibly enlarge
the pond. The last time I frequented the group, several of you sold pond
liner online. I'd appreciate if you could post your websites so I know
where to go when I'm ready to order.

By the way, I really don't recommend PVC liner. IMO, six years is too soon
to replace the liner. I'm willing to entertain any other suggestions for a
liner.

Corey

Reel McKoi 10-04-2005 04:36 AM

"Corey B. Baker" wrote in message
Hi gang,
By the way, I really don't recommend PVC liner. IMO, six years is too

soon
to replace the liner. I'm willing to entertain any other suggestions for

liner.

===========
We have Tetra 60 mil EDPM, or is that EPMD liners since 1995. No tears yet.
;-)
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Phyllis and Jim Hurley 10-04-2005 01:40 PM

Hi Corey,

It is great that your fish made it!

Jim is just finishing replacing our kiddie pools. One of them cracked
and he is pulling both. They are about 7 years old. EDPM will be the
replacement. It goes 20 yrs or so. We find it easy and durable. He is
using a toilet flange for the bottom drain.

Good luck.

Phyllis

Ann in Houston 10-04-2005 02:16 PM

Corey,
I used to sell HDPE and although some here are happy with theirs,
I was not happy with mine and consequently I quit selling it. I do
suggest EPDM. Good luck with your new pond.
Ann

~ jan JJsPond.us 13-04-2005 04:30 PM

45 mil EPDM here, 10 years, so far so good.

Kencofish.com use to sell permalon, not sure if that is the same stuff that
Ann mentions. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~