Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-04-2005, 06:50 AM
robv60

Default Help with my pond/waterfall

Well, I just bought a new house that came with 2 koi ponds. We have one
in the backyard that has a waterfall feature. The pond is approx. 2835
gallons (21x12x1.5x7.5). The waterfall starts about 5-6 feet above the
surface of the water. There is a path leading down about 15 or so feet
on a hillside before the water turns and runs down a rocky face where
it then splitsand runs down two "channels" formed into the sides of the
pond that are supposed to direct the water from the path and around
both sides of the pond where the water then would run into the pond.
Well, none of this makes much sense without a badly drawn schematic, so
here is one so you can try to figure out what im trying to describe....
http://www20.brinkster.com/robv60/pond.htm . Now, The boss and I have
decided we would like to divert the water away from the "channels" on
either side so that most(if not all)of the water will simply cascade
down the smooth face and into the pond below. Anyway, With a 2835
gallon pond and a six foot head to the "holding basin", what size pump
should I use? I already have a "little giant" 1900 gph pump the
previous owner had in the much smaller pond elsewhere on the property.
Apparently this pump will pump ~1250 gph at 5' head. Im not sure this
will be enough, going to test it out tomorrow though. I have been
looking at the Supreme PondMaster mag 18,24 and 36. seems the mag 18
will pump 1200 @ 5' and 1125 @ 6'. The mag 24 will do 1850 @ 5 and
1700 @ 6'. The mag 36 pumps 3050 and 2900. For my needs what is your
opinion on which would be best. Should I just go with the biggest pump
I can reasonably afford and restrict the flow if its too much. Crap, I
will need this pump to run with a bio filter too I 'spose.