Old 02-05-2005, 05:45 PM
Andy

Default Water lilies

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some advice on growing a water lily I got recently.

The lily came with a few leaves on stems about 3 inches long so I'm
guessing it's been grown in shallow water.

I want it to sit at around 20 inches in the pond and it's been there for
a couple of weeks with no sign of growth.

I read on one website that the best method to encourage growth was to
trim the mature leaves off as the new shoots would grow to the surface.

If so, where so I make the cut? Just before the old leaf or right back
at the base of the stem?

Any other advice or links to site about water lilies would be great.

Oh, one other thing - how fast should I expect the lily to be growing?
I'm in the UK with a small pond around 7x5x2ft.

Thanks,

Andy

Old 02-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Reel McKoi

"Andy" wrote in message
.. .
Hi folks,

I'm looking for some advice on growing a water lily I got recently.

The lily came with a few leaves on stems about 3 inches long so I'm
guessing it's been grown in shallow water.

I want it to sit at around 20 inches in the pond and it's been there for
a couple of weeks with no sign of growth.

I read on one website that the best method to encourage growth was to
trim the mature leaves off as the new shoots would grow to the surface.

If so, where so I make the cut? Just before the old leaf or right back
at the base of the stem?

============================
I wouldn't remove any healthy green leaves. Give it a chance. You just
potted it up. :-) Once growth starts it's usually rapid. Don't forget the
fertilizer tabs.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 02-05-2005, 08:40 PM
~Roy~

Lillies will self adjust for water depth. I would not cut any leaves
or stems off it at this time, but place it in water about 6" deeper
than what the length of the stems is now, and wait for new growth,
then lower it about 6 or 8 more inches , if its doing fine then just
place it at its depth you want it at. SOmetimes if planted or
submerged too deep to start, it can stunt or set them back, so just
take it easy with drastic changes, especially if your water is still
cool, as it tyakes longer as the water is cooler deeper than it would
be higher in the water column. I always place mine about 6" more than
the longest stem for starters..........

On Mon, 02 May 2005 17:45:52 +0100, Andy wrote:

===Hi folks,
===

Old 03-05-2005, 12:00 PM
Andy

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

I agree, if it is a really strong growing lily it can be plunked down deep
and grow, but a tender new one will need some patience and slow lowering to
the depths over time. ~ jan

Thanks for the advice all, I'll leave things be and hope for some growth
once the weather gets a bit warmer.

--
Andy

Old 03-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Derek Broughton

Andy wrote:

The lily came with a few leaves on stems about 3 inches long so I'm
guessing it's been grown in shallow water.

It doesn't mean that. Lilies will usually have one or more "indicator"
leaves, which don't grow much but trigger the full growth when light levels
get strong enough.

I want it to sit at around 20 inches in the pond and it's been there for
a couple of weeks with no sign of growth.

You'll get the most rapid development if you can set it so that the leaves
are just a couple of inches below the surface, then lower it a few more
inches every time leaves reach the surface.

I read on one website that the best method to encourage growth was to
trim the mature leaves off as the new shoots would grow to the surface.

You don't have any of those.

If so, where so I make the cut? Just before the old leaf or right back
at the base of the stem?

I always remove mine as close to the base as is easily possible - the whole
stalk will rot anyway.

Oh, one other thing - how fast should I expect the lily to be growing?
I'm in the UK with a small pond around 7x5x2ft.

It's way too early, as far north as you are, to expect much growth yet. In
July and August, if you have lots of sun, you can see 6" of growth a day
(actually, a leaf or flower bud 6" below water one day will surface the
next, but that may be at least partly because the stalk straightens out).
--
derek