GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Okay, so what is this thing?? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/94242-okay-so-what-thing.html)

Mark and Kim Smith 17-05-2005 08:37 PM

Okay, so what is this thing??

Sorry for the poor pics. He was on the move and so was I. Just when
the camera would focus, it would go out of focus. I feel like I'm
trying to capture bigfoot! He's maybe 1/2 to 3/4" in length.

http://www.bunchobikes.com/bug1.jpg
http://www.bunchobikes.com/bug2.jpg

I mostly see him under water but caught him doing a land crossing. TIA

Elaine T 17-05-2005 08:52 PM

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:
Sorry for the poor pics. He was on the move and so was I. Just when
the camera would focus, it would go out of focus. I feel like I'm
trying to capture bigfoot! He's maybe 1/2 to 3/4" in length.

http://www.bunchobikes.com/bug1.jpg
http://www.bunchobikes.com/bug2.jpg

I mostly see him under water but caught him doing a land crossing. TIA

Dragonfly larvae, I think.
http://www.btinternet.com/~andyharme...nflylarvae.htm

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Mark and Kim Smith 17-05-2005 09:06 PM

Elaine T wrote:

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Sorry for the poor pics. He was on the move and so was I. Just when
the camera would focus, it would go out of focus. I feel like I'm
trying to capture bigfoot! He's maybe 1/2 to 3/4" in length.

http://www.bunchobikes.com/bug1.jpg
http://www.bunchobikes.com/bug2.jpg

I mostly see him under water but caught him doing a land crossing. TIA

Dragonfly larvae, I think.
http://www.btinternet.com/~andyharme...nflylarvae.htm

Well, I'll be!! So that's what them little buggers are! Cool!!

kathy 18-05-2005 01:08 AM

He sheds his skin as he grows.
The last time he'll crawl out of the pond,
on a plant stem if one is handy, and split
the back of his skin and out will come wings.
He'll hang out for a long time waiting for them
to dry and then fly away. You'll probably have
the next generation deposited as eggs in
the pond by fall.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com
(plan on having dragonflies up this coming week!)

Reel McKoi 18-05-2005 05:12 AM

"mark Bannister" wrote in message
Mark and Kim Smith wrote:
Sorry for the poor pics. He was on the move and so was I. Just when
the camera would focus, it would go out of focus. I feel like I'm
trying to capture bigfoot! He's maybe 1/2 to 3/4" in length.

http://www.bunchobikes.com/bug1.jpg
http://www.bunchobikes.com/bug2.jpg

I mostly see him under water but caught him doing a land crossing. TIA

Dragon fly larva.

====================
Which catch and eat small fry. :-(
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
"Please check people's headers for forgeries

[email protected] 18-05-2005 11:30 AM

Reel McKoi wrote: Which catch and eat small fry. :-(

Sounds like the movie "Silence of the Koi"

Derek Broughton 18-05-2005 02:33 PM

mark Bannister wrote:

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:
Sorry for the poor pics. He was on the move and so was I. Just when
the camera would focus, it would go out of focus. I feel like I'm
trying to capture bigfoot! He's maybe 1/2 to 3/4" in length.

http://www.bunchobikes.com/bug1.jpg
http://www.bunchobikes.com/bug2.jpg

I mostly see him under water but caught him doing a land crossing. TIA

Dragon fly larva.

Nobody said "Hellgramite" (which is a dragonfly larva). I haven't a clue
where that name came from, but it gives a much better connotation of just
what the larva is like than "dragonfly larva" :-)
--
derek

Reel McKoi 19-05-2005 05:19 AM

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:
Sorry for the poor pics. He was on the move and so was I. Just when
the camera would focus, it would go out of focus. I feel like I'm
trying to capture bigfoot! He's maybe 1/2 to 3/4" in length.

http://www.bunchobikes.com/bug1.jpg
http://www.bunchobikes.com/bug2.jpg

I mostly see him under water but caught him doing a land crossing. TIA

It was happems when you pee in the pond and sperm mixes in with insects
it is called a Mckoi bug