Old 01-06-2005, 08:43 PM
Peter Breed

Default Winter

I know spring is turning into summer - but the awakening got me thinking
is there a way to give my pond a head start. So I thought how much
would putting a cover over my pond in winter give the pond a head start
in spring. Lots of web searching later I came across
http://www.clarkekoi.com/How%20To/Ho...20Covering.htm
and some other bits and pieces on people, especially Canadians covering
there ponds with a temporary greenhouse or poly-tunnel in winter,
I hope I won't insult anyone by saying I consider myself fortunate not
to live in Canada (I prefer my winters slightly cold, not really really
cold), but the question remains - as someone living in the UK, would my
pond benefit from a cover in the winter, and would the extra insulation
be enough to allow me to run my waterfall and filter over winter.

Details some of you might want:
Pond deepest depth 40in
Width ~4ft
Length ~6ft
Volume ~2000L
Inhabitants 4 5inch comets & 2 Shubumkins

Peter
Old 01-06-2005, 10:35 PM
RichToyBox

I cover my pond in Virginia with two full layers of poly sheeting and a
layer of bubblewrap. The solar heating will assist the heating of the pond
somewhat. The air temperature in the covered area will get into the 80's
many days during the winter. I also heat my ponds, which means that if I
don't want to heat all outdoors, I need the cover. It will work best if the
pond is located where it will get sun most of the day, but anything that
takes the cold wind off the pond is good. Cold winds increase evaporation,
which causes significant cooling.
--
RichToyBox