GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How much should i feed koi? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/95227-how-much-should-i-feed-koi.html)

Dave 02-06-2005 05:52 PM

How much should i feed koi?

Hi,
I have just purchased 7, 3-4 inch koi. Could anyone tell me how much
i should feed them and when?

Snooze 02-06-2005 06:15 PM

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I have just purchased 7, 3-4 inch koi. Could anyone tell me how much
i should feed them and when?

How large is the pond? If you feed them less food, they'll eat the insects
and algae instead of waiting for you to feed them. I feed mine once every
other day. Start with 1/8th cup, if they eat all of that in under 5 minutes,
add a little bit more.

Koi4Me 02-06-2005 07:00 PM

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I have just purchased 7, 3-4 inch koi. Could anyone tell me how much
i should feed them and when?

============================
Seems everyone does it differently. There is obviously no "right" way
except not to overfeed where the food rots and fouls the water. I feed koi
that small several times a day, despite the algae, and insects that may fall
into the ponds. My adult koi get fed once or twice a day, never less than
once unless we're away for the weekend or it's storming.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

UTBill 02-06-2005 07:25 PM

On 2 Jun 2005 09:52:40 -0700, wrote:

Hi,
I have just purchased 7, 3-4 inch koi. Could anyone tell me how much
i should feed them and when?

Get them fat and we'll have a BBQ.

This space for rent

Dave 02-06-2005 08:25 PM