Old 23-06-2005, 07:33 AM

Default Fry in filter

Tiny fry have appeared. I have only Goldfish. What keeps the little
guys from being sucked into the filter?..

Old 23-06-2005, 08:29 AM
Reel McKoi

wrote in message
oups.com...
Tiny fry have appeared. I have only Goldfish. What keeps the little
guys from being sucked into the filter?..

===================
They will get sucked into the filter if the filter's intake isn't somehow
covered, and if the filter is in an area where fry hang out - mainly around
plants in the shallower water.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 24-06-2005, 05:32 PM
XedOut

i always get fry in the bio filter, i wait for the next cleaning and
net them and throw them in the main pond sometimes i miss a couple a
they will be large by the next cleaning where i fish them out to join
the rest, they will live in a large biofilter for months

Old 26-06-2005, 03:14 AM

The pump is at the bottom of my pond (3' deep)(and below lots of
plants). It pumps through the filter which is outside of the pond.
How do you net the fry from the filter if they're so small? My filter
is designed with a backwash-lever to clean it: I flip the lever and
the pumped water is diverted to flow in the opposite direction,
carrying the silt out a different hose, which exits into the garden. I
could put a fine net there, but it would catch tons of gunk in addition
to the microscopic fish....

Old 26-06-2005, 04:34 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On 25 Jun 2005 19:14:08 -0700, wrote:

The pump is at the bottom of my pond

This is an easy one (really it is) you get two mesh baskets and clam shell
them over the pump similar to this:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/koipond/photos/set1/09.jpg this gives a large
surface area, so very little pull from one general area. Plus in a week or
twos time the fry won't fit thru the openings of baskets. This also
protects your pump from clogging on large leaves, etc. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a