GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Need a inexpensive way to cool the pond water. Phoenix AZ current temp HOT!! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/96437-need-inexpensive-way-cool-pond-water-phoenix-az-current-temp-hot.html)

Reel Mckoi 28-06-2005 02:43 AM

"Courageous" wrote in message

A: Stop by the pool section in the garden center at Home Depot on
Thunderbird at I-17. Pick up a pool / spa thermometer. Without it
you're only guessing at the temperature.

One could not have better advice.

C//

=========================
At the pond shops they run $15 and up. At Home-Depot they're around $3.99.
:-) I bought several last time I was there.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Courageous 28-06-2005 06:04 AM

roof of sunscreen cloth (Home Depot or Lowes). Have you tested the
water temperature?

Out of curiosity, what was your own?

C//

Snooze 28-06-2005 12:03 PM

"~ janj JJsPond.us" wrote in message ...
,,.How about a fine mist of water.

Which reminds me. Isn't AZ where they came up with those fine misters above
a patio to keep it cool? Why not above and around the pond? ~ jan

Evaporative coolers work incredibly well in AZ and NM. Last summer I was out in AZ, it was about 110F outside before a rainstorm came in, within minutes the air temp was about 60f. Unfortunately I don't think an evaporative cooler would work well in cooling a pond, not the way you described anyways, the transfer of heat from water to air is not very good, so a lot of water would be wasted for minimal cooling value.

A better solution would be to run the water through some aluminum radiator coils, and to mist water over the radiator coils. Perhaps run a water line through the pond, before going to the sprinkler system, that would help, again minimally.

I think probably the most practical solution would be to cut the tops off of a couple 2 liter soda bottles, fill it with water, then just dump the ice into the pond every morning, which really won't help, assuming my math is correct.

Assuming 4L of ice, in a 90F (32C) 700 gal (2650 L) pond
heat taken up to convert ice to 0c water
4 kg x 334 (kJ.kg-1) = 1336 kJ
heat taken up to convert 0c water to ambient temp
4kg x 4.18 (kJ.kg-1. K-1)x 32 (º K) = 535.04 kJ
kJ absorbed = 1336 + 535 kJ = 1871

temp drop of pond
-1871 kJ = 2650kg x 4.18 (kJ.kg-1. K-1)x N(º K) = .16 ºC or about 3 ºF

Seems to me to be an awful lot of work for such minimal gains.

Greg Cooper 28-06-2005 07:05 PM

A quick Google on evaporative cooling turned up the following.
http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/...e_coolers.html

It states that evaporative cools in dry atmospher can cool the hot air
by as much as 30 degrees. The plus is that they use much less engery
that a AC unit.

It would seem one would need a evaporative cooler to chill air then an
air/water heat exchanger to cool the pond water. It sounds doable.

Up here in British Columbia I dont have to worry about the pond getting
too hot - especially with the summer we are having.

Courageous wrote:
A better solution would be to run the water through some aluminum radiator coils,
and to mist water over the radiator coils. Perhaps run a water line through the pond,=
before going to the sprinkler system, that would help, again minimally.

If those aluminum radiator coils were buried somewhere cool, you'd have a heat
exchanger, and it would be effective. The challenge will be that the ground
gets pretty hot in AZ in summer. So finding that cool spot will be work, and
the digging will be deep.

C//

Derek Broughton 28-06-2005 08:09 PM

Greg Cooper wrote:

A quick Google on evaporative cooling turned up the following.

http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/...e_coolers.html

It states that evaporative cools in dry atmospher can cool the hot air
by as much as 30 degrees. The plus is that they use much less engery
that a AC unit.

It would seem one would need a evaporative cooler to chill air then an
air/water heat exchanger to cool the pond water. It sounds doable.

Not necessarily. Any fountain is going to work as an evaporative cooling
mechanism - the finer the spray the more effective (but also, the more
water the pond loses by both evaporation and wind-drift).

If those aluminum radiator coils were buried somewhere cool, you'd have a
heat exchanger, and it would be effective. The challenge will be that the
ground gets pretty hot in AZ in summer. So finding that cool spot will be
work, and the digging will be deep.

Again, that's for a "perfect" solution, but you don't need refrigeration,
just enough cooling to keep the pond at a nice temperature. I don't know
Arizona, but you only need to be down a couple of feet to be significantly
cooler than daytime air. Basically, if you can get the heat exchanger into
any soil that stays under 80F, you should be cooling the water below the
danger zone for your fish.
--
derek

Dude 29-06-2005 04:52 PM

I got a thermometer from Petsmart yesterday. its 5:55 am now and the
pond is 78degrees. Ill check it at 1pm and see again. I added 4 more
comets and4 more shubunkins yesterday and about 30 rosies. I also just
ordered a bunch of 72 stems of anacharis.

Chris

matrix j 29-06-2005 08:04 PM

I live in the south so i have to have a lot of shade also. I built a
"terraza" over my pond.....

BTW i live close to the gulf so it also keeps the big brown pelicans and
herons away...below are some pics;-)

http://community-1.webtv.net/MATRIXJ...TLE/page4.html

~ janj JJsPond.us 29-06-2005 11:07 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:04:43 -0500, (matrix j) wrote:

http://community-1.webtv.net/MATRIXJ...TLE/page4.html

Matrix, 2nd page, 3rd picture down, what are the plants to the right of,
what looks like a canna? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Courageous 30-06-2005 01:33 AM

It would seem one would need a evaporative cooler to chill air then an
air/water heat exchanger to cool the pond water. It sounds doable.

I saw a recent DIY prototype of an evaporative cooler for an aquarium.
Basically, the guy created a tube into which he dropped water (from the
aqarium) as well as two blowers. Air and water blew down, into the
aquarium, where they bubbled and sloshed. It was very effective at
cooling his aquarium.

C//

matrix j 30-06-2005 02:34 AM

Yup they are the sun worshipping canna! Even in the shade they grow
profusely though.

They like their feet wet in about 3 inches of water "max" 1 or 2 inches
is better or they will turn yellow and die...."took me two years to
figure that out" LOL!

They are now about 4 feet tall and have very large yellow and red
blooms. Here in Texas they grow year round and laugh at the summer
heat...just like "purslane"...very rapid growers giving off baby plants
by =BFrizome?---sp?.

I just use lava rock and plant baskets "no soil" to plant them in.

~ janj JJsPond.us 30-06-2005 05:50 AM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:34:22 -0500, (matrix j) wrote:

Yup they are the sun worshipping canna! Even in the shade they grow
profusely though.

What are the plants to the right of the canna? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Dude 30-06-2005 08:00 AM

Ok I checked at 1pm like I said but my thermometer said it was
98degrees in open sunlight. I took away the pool umbrella for the day
just to see what it was like before I added it. WOW that seems too
warm. With the umbrella providing shade the whole day I think it will
maintain about 80 degrees during the heat of the day. On top of thatI
seen a bird today snag one of my comets out of the pond today. Now I
have to work something out for that I guess. Does the madness ever end?
can I just sit back and relax and enjoy the pond without having to work
on it? Haha.

Chris

matrix j 30-06-2005 07:55 PM

Those are marble queen ivy and closet plant.