Old 25-06-2005, 04:28 AM
Dude

Default Need a inexpensive way to cool the pond water. Phoenix AZ current temp HOT!!

I live in Peoria AZ and from mid June till mid Sept its over 100
degrees every day even at 3am its 100. My poor fish have to endure
extreem pond temps, I dont know exactly what the pond temp is but I
would guess about 90 degrees. I just got done doubling the size of it.
I would guess it's about 700 gal give or take.
1250gph pump to my UV filter, Bio Filter, & water fall. Filtration and
airiation is pretty good but the fish hide during the day trying to
stay out of the Sun... Good luck out here. I have some pigmy palms to
the back of the pond and the pond has the block wall fence on two sides
of it and I have a Ficus tree in front of it but the tree is still
young and not big enough to provide any shade yet. On top of everything
my house faces east west so the back yard gets direct son for about 6
hours.
I have read about using a small dorm size fridge and converting it to
cool the water in the pond. I would like to hear from other AZ ponders
and know if you all are doing anything for cooling your pond temps.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 25-06-2005, 04:53 AM
kathy

I'd try some serious artifical shade.
Depth is another option but not inexpensive.

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ Mosquitoes!
Run For Your Life!

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 25-06-2005, 04:58 AM
George

"Dude" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The only solution (and it is not necessarily an easy one) barring expensive
refrigeration units would be to dig the pond deeper, so that it will be
better insulated by the earth, and to completely shade it from the sun.
Other than that, the only other solution I can think of is to buy a
refrigeration unit (and like I said, they are expensive):

http://www.animalworldnetwork.com/chforaq.html

Those listed on this web page, however, will likely not help you much if
your pond is very large. I just posted the link to give you an idea of how
expensive these things are. But here is another web page for ponders that
might give you some ideas on how to cool your pond water. It is important
to make sure that the water doesn't get too warm, as O2 levels will plunge
as the water temperature rises.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/ar...id=434&aid=417

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 25-06-2005, 05:04 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Dude" wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in Peoria AZ and from mid June till mid Sept its over 100
degrees every day even at 3am its 100. My poor fish have to endure
extreem pond temps, I dont know exactly what the pond temp is but I
would guess about 90 degrees.

$$ Home Depot - pool thermometers for $3.99.

I just got done doubling the size of it.
I would guess it's about 700 gal give or take.
1250gph pump to my UV filter, Bio Filter, & water fall. Filtration and
airiation is pretty good but the fish hide during the day trying to
stay out of the Sun... Good luck out here.

$$ Here in TN I had to partly cover everything but my 800 and 2000 gallon
ponds. Even with water lily leaf coverage the smaller ponds/pools were 86
to 88 F. The sun and heat are relentless here. Fortunately it does get
cooler at night.

I have some pigmy palms to
the back of the pond and the pond has the block wall fence on two sides
of it and I have a Ficus tree in front of it but the tree is still
young and not big enough to provide any shade yet.

$$ What about some waterlilies? Their large leaves really help shade the
water from the heat of the sun.

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 25-06-2005, 05:57 AM
Charles

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/...ories/ssid/370

--
Charles

Does not play well with others.

Old 25-06-2005, 07:28 AM
Mark and Kim Smith

Dude wrote:

[...]

I'm here in So Cal. Mine is 2' deep. I use lilies and a pier to shade
most of the pond. http://www.bunchobikes.com/pond9.htm Warm days they
go and hide under the pier or frolic amongst the larger lily leaves.
Old 25-06-2005, 07:33 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Take a few milk jugs. Fill with water. Cap and freeze. Put in pond during
the day. Pond on the rocks. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 25-06-2005, 08:07 AM
Dude

Depth isnt really going to help.. unless i could dig it about 10' deep
which I cant..
I am serious its 100degrees 24/7 for 3 months this time of year. the
ground is sooo hot the tap water comming in the house is not very cold
either this time of year.

I have some Lillys now but not enough to cover the whole pond and I
just put in 4 more plants yesterday... more lillys and some iris and
something else....

By morning the water is 20 degrees cooler but by 2pm its very warm.

What about that blue die for ponds? I have some of that. wonder if that
would help at all. I dont like the look it gives but its liquid shade
in a bottel.

Chris

Old 25-06-2005, 08:12 AM
Dude

Now thats a pond!!!! your pond is beautiful, very nice work.. Love the
look of the dick and boat house.

Chris

Old 25-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Wilmdale

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Dude wrote:

[...]

Outstanding! :-) . TOTAL extreme make-over!
Thanks for sharing .
W. Dale

Old 25-06-2005, 02:28 PM
~Roy~

Thats what I have done in our hot tub on a few occassions when I
wanted a cold tub more than a hot tub.......it works pretty good too.

I would have to venture with a lots of shade is about the only resort
unless your prepared to spend lots of money for a chiller unit.

Around this paart its not uncommon for high temps either,,.How about a
fine mist of water. I have heard others say a trickle tower has a
chilling effect on water up to a certain point.

Take some temp readings at the top and middle and bottom and you may
be surprised the bottom strata is a lot cooler than you may think.

Around my ponds edges the water this year has been in the mid 90's
down to about 8 or 12 inches, however after that its a big change and
hits the lower 80's, and at about 3 feet or so its in the 70's. I
monitor my water temp from surface to 12 feet just for the heck of it
usuing a bank of remote electronic thermometers and sensors that are
permanently installed. Once I get past 8 or 9 feet the temp stays
rather constant all year round......

More aeraton and shade would be a big help for your pond / fish

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 23:33:05 -0700, ~ janj JJsPond.us
wrote:

===Take a few milk jugs. Fill with water. Cap and freeze. Put in pond during
===the day. Pond on the rocks. ~ jan
===
=== ~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 25-06-2005, 02:43 PM
axolotl

"Dude" wrote in news:1119670116.818205.228410
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

[...]

Provide some shade, for a least part of it.
If there is no natural shade how about using one of those "cheap" blue
tarps and some timber (2*4s) as tent poles to rig a tent over part of the
pond? With a little ingenuity you could provide shade for the pond and some
for yourself next to the pond, then you could site out next to the water
with your favorite tipple.

ANO
Old 25-06-2005, 03:48 PM
~Roy~

They make what is called Shade sails. They are a heavy duty nylon or
polyproplyene fabric made in the shape of a triangle. They are
supported by using three poles and three stakes in the ground or tied
off to other existing structures and tensioned. The triangle shape,
and outer perimeter cable they have works better in windy condiitons
than a square shape does as it allows any captive air under it to
bleed off quick and not create as much lift and billow up as a square
would. A lot of ponders on another forum speak very highly of them in
giving them the needed shade for their ponds.
A ready made 12 x 12 x 12 foot triangle shade sail is about
$130......and all you need is a means to support it, usuing pipes
wood posts or other structure.

http://www.shadesails.com/newpage11.htm

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 25-06-2005, 03:59 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
I'm here in So Cal. Mine is 2' deep. I use lilies and a pier to shade
most of the pond. http://www.bunchobikes.com/pond9.htm Warm days they
go and hide under the pier or frolic amongst the larger lily leaves.

===========================
Very nice pond! I like that "old building" look on the fence. :-)
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/crtso

Old 25-06-2005, 08:09 PM
PlainBill

I live just a few miles from you (northern Phoenix), and I feel you're
overestimating the problem. My 'koi' pond is roughly the same size as
yours, and I have never had a problem with the pond getting too hot
for the fish. I DO have a lot of natural shade on the west side. Here
are a few other suggestions.

Home Depot and Lowes carry a polyester based UV resistant shade
fabric. A 6' X 24' piece weights about 20 lbs. The stuff is tough,
and very resistant to ripping. I use 4 side by side to keep my
swimming pool shaded even in mid-day (great for the grandkids). You
can make a very sturdy framework from 1" or 1 1/4" PVC pipe (make sure
you anchor it securely for the monsoon season).

The same places also sell lattice panels. The goldfish pond is shaded
by a roof of them, with a trumpet vine growing on it. Again, no
problems with overheating.

One of the easiest solutions is some kind of fountain or waterfall.
The cooling effect is significant, just make sure you have some way of
replenishing the water lost to evaporation.

PlainBill

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
current pond temp. O3raledale Ponds 11 10-10-2003 02:02 AM