Old 26-06-2005, 12:49 AM
Forest

Default Koi is using stones to chew her food

One of my Koi is clearly using a mouthful of rough gravel to chew her
food when I put a piece of meat in front of her. Then she spits the
gravel out. This is in a 60 gallon aquarium. The bottom is covered
with irregular rubble granite gravel with approximately 1/4"
dimensions. The fish takes the food near the surface and then goes to
the bottom and pulls up several such stones clearly chewing her food.
Some of the small pieces of food will escape from her gills during this
and then she spits out the stones. The other fish (I have only two in
there) does not do this and the "tool user" does not pull stones into
her mouth in this way (and keep them there) when she is foraging the
bottom. Of course, they both move stones around with their mouths when
they are searching. She also does not do this when she is eating
"flake" food.

Old 26-06-2005, 01:24 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Forest" wrote in message
ups.com...
One of my Koi is clearly using a mouthful of rough gravel to chew her
food when I put a piece of meat in front of her.

=========================
A piece of "meat?"
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/crtso

Old 26-06-2005, 04:35 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On 25 Jun 2005 16:49:14 -0700, "Forest" wrote:

One of my Koi is clearly using a mouthful of rough gravel to chew her
food when I put a piece of meat in front of her. Then she spits the
gravel out. This is in a 60 gallon aquarium. The bottom is covered
with irregular rubble granite gravel with approximately 1/4"
dimensions. The fish takes the food near the surface and then goes to
the bottom and pulls up several such stones clearly chewing her food.
Some of the small pieces of food will escape from her gills during this
and then she spits out the stones. The other fish (I have only two in
there) does not do this and the "tool user" does not pull stones into
her mouth in this way (and keep them there) when she is foraging the
bottom. Of course, they both move stones around with their mouths when
they are searching. She also does not do this when she is eating
"flake" food.

Interesting, I've never heard of this before. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 27-06-2005, 01:51 AM
Courageous

One of my Koi is clearly using a mouthful of rough gravel to chew her
food when I put a piece of meat in front of her. Then she spits the
gravel out. This is in a 60 gallon aquarium.

A 60 gallon aquarium is woefully insufficient space for a koi. Unless
this is a temporary holding tank, one may have some thinking to do.

C//

Old 30-06-2005, 06:09 AM
Forest

Yeah. Like a small piece of people food. They like raw beef, and seem
especially happy with salmon or shrimp.

Old 30-06-2005, 06:24 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Forest" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yeah. Like a small piece of people food. They like raw beef, and seem
especially happy with salmon or shrimp.

===========================
The only meat mine get are compost grubs and earth worms.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 30-06-2005, 06:25 AM
Forest

Well, I hadn't heard of this either but I figured you all would have
seen something related if the use of these small stones as grinding
tools was a normal behavior with carp. I do see that sometimes folks
have reported a stone caught in the throat of a Koi. So we must assume
that some of them are either stupid enough to try to swallow a stone
that they could never pass or smart enough to use the stones like teeth
and the "caught in the throat" incidents are simply accidents during a
normal event. Since you all are mostly working with ponds, and the
smaller specimens in aquariums would not have a large enough mouth to
use stones in this manner, such an observaton might be rare even if the
behavior is common. Have stones been found in the stomach of this
species. Perhaps thought to have been swallowed as ballast?

Old 30-06-2005, 07:17 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Forest" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, I hadn't heard of this either but I figured you all would have
seen something related if the use of these small stones as grinding
tools was a normal behavior with carp.

** I've never seen this behavior and have kept koi for 5 or 6 years now.
They have access to stones and gravel in the potted plants.

I do see that sometimes folks
have reported a stone caught in the throat of a Koi. So we must assume
that some of them are either stupid enough to try to swallow a stone
that they could never pass or smart enough to use the stones like teeth
and the "caught in the throat" incidents are simply accidents during a
normal event.

** But they do have lyringal (sp?) teeth and shouldn't need stones.

Since you all are mostly working with ponds, and the
smaller specimens in aquariums would not have a large enough mouth to
use stones in this manner,

** Some of my koi are quite large with large mouths but I never saw what you
described. Perhaps someone else has witnessed it.

such an observaton might be rare even if the
behavior is common. Have stones been found in the stomach of this
species. Perhaps thought to have been swallowed as ballast?

** Interesting question........