GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   koi ulcer,, revisited (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/96605-koi-ulcer-revisited.html)

*muffin* 29-06-2005 01:53 AM

koi ulcer,, revisited

a while ago I posted a question about an ulcer ( really a big wound) that
happened on one of my koi.
after 2 weeks, it is getting a white coating over it, it still is the size
of about a quarter, but doesn't seem to bother the fish .

does this mean its healing ok?
I did find some wound ointment for fish, which, IF you suggest I can *try*
to catch it & put that on (with a topping of denture powder),,, but am
wondering if I should just leave it alone now?

I took a pic of the fish ( although not perfect) I can send to anyone
interested. ( I really do need to get back on my pic website someday & add
some)

thanks!

Reel Mckoi 29-06-2005 02:23 AM

"*muffin*" wrote in message
a while ago I posted a question about an ulcer ( really a big wound) that
happened on one of my koi.
after 2 weeks, it is getting a white coating over it, it still is the size
of about a quarter, but doesn't seem to bother the fish .

============================
Try and find KoiZyme and add that to your pond water. It out-competes the
bacteria that cause ulcers. The ulcers heal rapidly when it's used. At
least that was our experience.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

~ janj JJsPond.us 29-06-2005 04:48 AM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:53:09 -0400, "*muffin*" wrote:

after 2 weeks, it is getting a white coating over it, it still is the size
of about a quarter, but doesn't seem to bother the fish .

does this mean its healing ok?

Yes!

I did find some wound ointment for fish, which, IF you suggest I can *try*
to catch it & put that on (with a topping of denture powder),,, but am
wondering if I should just leave it alone now?

No. One of the big mistakes is treating a wound. One thing to do it once
when it is fresh, but fish actually start a healing/sealing process right
away that our good intentions sometime ruin.

I took a pic of the fish ( although not perfect) I can send to anyone
interested. ( I really do need to get back on my pic website someday & add
some)

You can send to me: ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

~ janj JJsPond.us 29-06-2005 04:49 AM

Is this particular bacteria sensitive to salinity?

C//

KoiZyme isn't affect by salt, is my understanding. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Reel Mckoi 29-06-2005 05:29 AM

"Courageous" wrote in message

Try and find KoiZyme and add that to your pond water. It out-competes

the
bacteria that cause ulcers. The ulcers heal rapidly when it's used.

At
least that was our experience.

Is this particular bacteria sensitive to salinity?

C//

=================================
I honestly don't know since I don't use salt in my ponds. I have seen
ulcers start to heal in a few days after adding it to the ponds. Ulcers
were a big problem a few years back. Since I use it prophylacticly now, the
fish no longer get ulcers or infections when hurt in some way.

Reel Mckoi 29-06-2005 04:18 PM

"Courageous" wrote in message

I honestly don't know since I don't use salt in my ponds.

Why not? The plants?

I've read that koi like a little salinity.

C//

==============================
I stopped using it when I saw how good other people's pond fish were doing
without it. That's also when I learned about the catfish pellets others
were using. I stopped the salt and expensive overpriced fish foods. My
fish are thriving.

I don't recall exactly how much salt I used at the time but it wasn't enough
to harm the plants. It did nothing for the parasites that were common back
(in purchased fish) then such as gillmites, anchor worm and those *&^%$#@
ulcers.

~ janj JJsPond.us 29-06-2005 06:51 PM

I honestly don't know since I don't use salt in my ponds.
Why not? The plants?
I've read that koi like a little salinity.

C//

Seeing the fish, a little salinity right now would help, even to just
0.05%, ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

*muffin* 29-06-2005 08:16 PM

"~ janj JJsPond.us" wrote in message
I honestly don't know since I don't use salt in my ponds.

Why not? The plants?
I've read that koi like a little salinity.

C//

Seeing the fish, a little salinity right now would help, even to just
0.05%, ~ jan

somehow I am NOT seeing "courageous" postings!(("Courageous"
))anyone else have this problem? this person
brought up the salt.

but anyway, Jan, if you are talking about my fish I do have salinity at 0.1%

~ janj JJsPond.us 30-06-2005 05:43 AM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:16:38 -0400, "*muffin*" wrote:

"~ janj JJsPond.us" wrote in message
.. .
I honestly don't know since I don't use salt in my ponds.
Why not? The plants?
I've read that koi like a little salinity.

C//

Seeing the fish, a little salinity right now would help, even to just
0.05%, ~ jan

somehow I am NOT seeing "courageous" postings!(("Courageous"
))anyone else have this problem? this person
brought up the salt.

but anyway, Jan, if you are talking about my fish I do have salinity at 0.1%

That's even better. ;o) Who posted the line that they don't use salt? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Roy 30-06-2005 01:20 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:43:14 -0700, ~ janj JJsPond.us
wrote:

Snip

Who posted the line that they don't use salt? ~ jan
===
=== ~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

You know my take on salt for the most part! ;-)

"The original frugal ponder"

~ janj JJsPond.us 30-06-2005 07:44 PM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:20:26 GMT, (Roy) wrote:

Who posted the line that they don't use salt? ~ jan
===
=== ~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

You know my take on salt for the most part! ;-)

Yes, but you didn't post that though, or did you? I was wondering how I
mixed up posts and posters, not who applies what, when. ;o) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

UTBill 30-06-2005 08:01 PM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:44:29 -0700, wrote:

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:20:26 GMT, (Roy) wrote:

Who posted the line that they don't use salt? ~ jan
===
=== ~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

You know my take on salt for the most part! ;-)

Yes, but you didn't post that though, or did you? I was wondering how I
mixed up posts and posters, not who applies what, when. ;o) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Are you purty Jan?

This space for rent