Old 20-07-2005, 05:55 PM
JoganJani

Default Snails good or bad?

I've a three and half year old pond and is mature now with lots of
plants, lillies and fish. The water is great and clear. Currently I've
noticed that it has tonns of snails. I do not know where they come
from. I even noticed a lot of 'em in skimmer net and am also worried it
might get into the pump in the skimmer. How do I contro l these? Any
help?

Thanks,

AJ

Old 20-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Reel Mckoi

"JoganJani" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've a three and half year old pond and is mature now with lots of
plants, lillies and fish. The water is great and clear. Currently I've
noticed that it has tonns of snails. I do not know where they come
from. I even noticed a lot of 'em in skimmer net and am also worried it
might get into the pump in the skimmer. How do I contro l these? Any
help?

===================
As long as they're causing no harm why not leave them alone? If you really
get overwhelmed with them you can relocate them to a nearby lake or creek
(if they're native to your area). Sometimes young snails clog the intakes
in my small outdoor pumps. That can be a real pain......
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 20-07-2005, 07:01 PM
kathy

Snails can be both neutral and bad.

Bad in that complete a cycle of parasites
between birds, snails and fish.
And bad that they can clog pumps.

I've had them for years and years with no
problems. Koi seem to keep them at bay
in the pond but they show up in the filter
and are all over the frog bog.

They usually come in as eggs on plants,
they look like clear strips of firm jelly.

Robyn has a great snail information page
with info on getting rid of them, if you want
to.
http://www.fishpondinfo.com/snail.htm

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ the rat-tail maggot!

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 20-07-2005, 07:33 PM
Roy

If they are small ones, just get a couple of clown loaches for the
warmer weather, and they will make short work of getting rid of the
snails......of course they would have to be given a warm home in
cooler weather once water gets in the low 70's........but they sure do
love eating snails. Theyw ill even attack and kill snails much larger
than themselves such as the large mystry or apple snails.......kill em
and eat the insides leaving just the shell........

On 20 Jul 2005 09:55:48 -0700, "JoganJani"
wrote:

===I've a three and half year old pond and is mature now with lots of
===plants, lillies and fish. The water is great and clear. Currently I've
===noticed that it has tonns of snails. I do not know where they come
===from. I even noticed a lot of 'em in skimmer net and am also worried it
===might get into the pump in the skimmer. How do I contro l these? Any
===help?
===
===Thanks,
===