Old 22-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Gary John

Default dropsy

I am the guy who had the snake in my pond - thankfully it has (i think)
moved on.
However, one of my goldfish has the ("cone look") which I am led to believe
is dropsy.
I have bought some Interpret anti ulcer treatment from local pet shop.
The fish doesn't seem too bad at the moment but do I leave it in the pond or
get it out (ie, is dropsy contageous?)
Thanks
Gary.

Old 22-07-2005, 03:34 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary John
I am the guy who had the snake in my pond - thankfully it has (i think)
moved on.
However, one of my goldfish has the ("cone look") which I am led to believe
is dropsy.
I have bought some Interpret anti ulcer treatment from local pet shop.
The fish doesn't seem too bad at the moment but do I leave it in the pond or
get it out (ie, is dropsy contageous?)
Thanks
Gary.
Gary- Sorry to hear about your fish. Here is a link of fish diseases you might find useful. The prognosis for a fish with dropsy is poor- but I hope your fish survives this infection.

http://www.ponddoc.com/Store/FishHea.../Diagnosis.htm
Old 22-07-2005, 05:36 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

I am the guy who had the snake in my pond - thankfully it has (i think)
moved on.
However, one of my goldfish has the ("cone look") which I am led to believe
is dropsy.
I have bought some Interpret anti ulcer treatment from local pet shop.
The fish doesn't seem too bad at the moment but do I leave it in the pond or
get it out (ie, is dropsy contageous?)
Thanks
Gary.

Dropsy is a 2ndary infection. It can be treated, but that fish will always
be susceptible. Dropsy isn't contagious, but whatever the primary cause
could be, parasite, bacteria, etc. Would I treat the pond, no. The other
fish may be immune or tough enough that whatever bothered this fish won't
bother them. Depending on the value of the fish, monetary or emotional, you
have to decide whether it can come inside and be an inside fish forever, or
treat it and re-release it and hope for the best, or put it down.

IME, treating & re-releasing it died the next spring without any
reoccurrence of the dropsy. I've had 2 since that I couldn't get to died
within a matter of days after noticing the start of dropsy. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a