GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   baby water iris (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/9786-baby-water-iris.html)

jammer 08-03-2003 06:20 AM

baby water iris

Do i wait until after frost danger or even longer before putting it in
the pond?

BTW: Those fish i agonized over all winter, i saw today. They are 3
times their original size and gorgeous:) I offered food as one was
sucking on a fossilized worm, but they never did eat.

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Roberta Hickman 09-03-2003 10:10 PM

baby water iris

Water iris are winter hardy, but I'd wait until danger of frost it
past, as it will nip the leaves. Don't feed your fish until the water
temp is consistently over 55 degrees. Their digestive processes
aren't working well until then, and having the food just sitting in
their gut isn't good for them.

Sue 10-03-2003 07:24 AM

baby water iris

I have ( in Dallas, Texas) Louisiana Bog Iris. I leave them in the
pond over winter & have for the past four years. They double & triple,
although this year was a bit colder than ususal so I put them in a tub
in the greenhouse.

I know that it is hard not to feed your fish when they beg but do not
feed them until the water reaches in the 50's. The can not digest the
food and it goes strait through them, The water becomes high in
nitrogen thus killing them or any baby frys.

jammer 10-03-2003 11:46 PM

baby water iris

On 9 Mar 2003 23:20:49 -0800, (Sue) wrote:

I have ( in Dallas, Texas) Louisiana Bog Iris. I leave them in the
pond over winter & have for the past four years. They double & triple,
although this year was a bit colder than ususal so I put them in a tub
in the greenhouse.

I guess next year i will leave them! I'll wait a bit longer but am
wondering if we are really going to have any more frost. I am not a
native Texan.

I know that it is hard not to feed your fish when they beg but do not
feed them until the water reaches in the 50's. The can not digest the
food and it goes strait through them, The water becomes high in
nitrogen thus killing them or any baby frys.

Ok, i won't. The label on the food said i could feed them at 52
degrees once a week and prgresses from there until it says over 85F,
not to feed at all. I figure there is more knowledge here than in the
labs when it comes to pond fish.
jammer