GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Climbing Yellow roses for a fence (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/10742-climbing-yellow-roses-fence.html)

TripFarmer 17-03-2003 08:32 PM

Climbing Yellow roses for a fence

Can someone tell me the name of a good Climbing Yellow and when to plant it in
Alabama?

Thanks in advance.

Trip

Mike 17-03-2003 09:08 PM

On 17 Mar 2003, (TripFarmer) wrote:
Can someone tell me the name of a good Climbing Yellow and when to plant it in
Alabama?

Thanks in advance.

Trip

Hi Trip,

Celine Forestier would be a nice choice for a fence. You should be able to
plant now.

TripFarmer 18-03-2003 05:32 PM

Climbing Yellow roses for a fence

How fast would it grow assuming I fertilized it regularly? I've heard 4-5
feet per year fro a climbing rose. I'd like something that'll grow faster than
that if possible.

Trip

In article ,
says...

Mike 18-03-2003 09:56 PM

On 18 Mar 2003, (TripFarmer) wrote:
How fast would it grow assuming I fertilized it regularly? I've heard 4-5
feet per year fro a climbing rose. I'd like something that'll grow faster
than
that if possible.

Trip

Hello again, Trip,

If I remember correctly, it was Allegra who mentioned a climber that grew 8
feet it's first year. May not be yellow, though. I can't remember which
rose it was. I quickly looked before I posted this reply, but couldn't find
the reference.

You can also call or send email to rose vendors telling them what you're
looking for and most of them will be more than happy to give you some good
recommendations. It's in their best interest to make you happy. They'll be
familiar with the growth rates of a lot more climbers than I. I know both
Antique Rose Emporium and Chamblee's are good about this. They love to
discuss roses with their customers.

Most climbers do start putting out long limbs rather quickly. 4-5 feet is
more impressive than it sounds. They also pick up speed and fill out the
second year. Instant gratification can be a little hard to come by when it
comes to roses, but the effect is definitely worth it.

Good luck!

Mike
z8TX

Cass 19-03-2003 04:32 AM

Climbing Yellow roses for a fence

I don't know if you can count on a rose growing really fast the first
year unless you buy a budded rose. There are exceptions, but there are
some really big roses that just take a couple of years to get going.
And if I were going to pick a fast grower, I doubt it would be yellow.

Just my 2 cents.