GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   mildew on roses (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/12492-mildew-roses.html)

Theresa Chao 31-03-2003 09:08 PM

mildew on roses

What is the best way to solve the mildew problem without using chemicals?

Radika Kesavan 02-04-2003 04:32 AM

mildew on roses

Theresa Chao wrote:
What is the best way to solve the mildew problem without using chemicals?

Please tell us where you are and what roses you grow, Theresa - much
depends on that.

--
Radika
California

Daniel Hanna 07-04-2003 10:32 PM

mildew on roses

In Theresa Chao wrote:
What is the best way to solve the mildew problem without using
chemicals?

Spray the bushes thoroughly with a mix of one part milk, six parts water.
It works better than most commercial chemical alternatives.

I swear by it (and I usually shun organic gardening).

Radika Kesavan 07-04-2003 11:32 PM

mildew on roses

Daniel Hanna wrote:

Spray the bushes thoroughly with a mix of one part milk, six parts water.
It works better than most commercial chemical alternatives.

I swear by it

Interesting. Whole, reduced fat, skim milk?

(and I usually shun organic gardening).

Without folks like you, not all chemists will be able to make a living,
Daniel;-).

--
Radika
California

Daniel Hanna 08-04-2003 03:56 PM

mildew on roses

In Radika Kesavan wrote:
Interesting. Whole, reduced fat, skim milk?

Mix it with whole milk, Radika (4% fat). Spray it liberally to run off
point, preferably undersides as well as tops.

I got rid of all spring mildew on my prone roses with 3 sprays, each 1
week apart. I never EVER got that kind of result with Triforine, Lime
Sulphur or Mancozeb. It bowled me over.

By the way, milk is equally good on black spot.

How could something so simple really work? My guess is that rose fungi
just can't deal with the proteins and fats in good old milk.