Old 07-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default My Bad

Well, I had to go to Lowes on Saturday and walked out with a poor,
homeless rose. Couldn't stand it's begging... It looked so sad.

Anyway, I've started planting roses in the common area behind my house.
I figure I *am* beautifying the property. Right? *grin* Since the
grounds commitee for the development currently has *no* members and I
intend to be on it, who'll vote against me?

Anyway, it was a poor waif Pristine, slight fragrance, mainly white (two
avoids for me usually) but has some really wicked thorns. *evil grin*
It should keep the neighborhood juvenile delinquents away from it.

Now, what else to put with her because we can't have a lonely rose now
can we? *laugh*

I did spend all weekend in the yard and it felt *great*. Got Pristine
all settled in, a new gardenia to replace the one that got killed during
the December ice storm, my dwarf fig repotted, my pepper plants in the
vegetable bed and lots of lots of time spent weeding the bed by the
walkway that has a chickweed infestation in it amongst my violets.
*sigh* I try to pull out as many of the running roots as I can but it
seems to be an unending task.

Anyone have any experience with Preen and chickweed? How about putting
Preen in a bed that also has flower seeds sowed in it? (I have not used
the Preen yet as I want more advice on using it.)

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu

Old 07-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Allegra

"Susan H. Simko" confessed to yet another rescue...like Cass, she
has never found a rose in need she could leave behind...

Well, I had to go to Lowes on Saturday and walked out with a poor,
homeless rose. Couldn't stand it's begging... It looked so sad.

She also spent

lots of lots of time spent weeding the bed by the
walkway that has a chickweed infestation in it amongst my violets.
*sigh* I try to pull out as many of the running roots as I can but it
seems to be an unending task.

Anyone have any experience with Preen and chickweed? How about putting
Preen in a bed that also has flower seeds sowed in it? (I have not used
the Preen yet as I want more advice on using it.)

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu

Hello Susan

Here is an address for you to go in and peruse

http://www.preen.com/faqs/questions.asp

I don't believe any pre-emergent would be able to distinguish
between weed seeds and viable plant seeds, but that is my personal
take on it. Maybe in the faqs you could find the answer to that.

As for personal experience, we have used Preen now for two seasons
and are happy with the results. Never had anything planted around the
garden that was affected by it other than the weeds that were "planted"
by our unpaid garden workers, the feathered ones for instance. We have
many opportunistic weeds around here, if there is a bit of ground open
they move in with great alacrity. This Spring we have noticed some
difference in the amount of weeds we found, and tomorrow we will
add Preen to our side beds in preparation to spread manure and mulch
after a serious cleaning, since Pickerings is not going to ship our order
until the end of the month. All in all I would recommend it because it is
effective and not very expensive, and for someone who lives with "arturo"
bending or getting close to the ground to weed is really a waste of time
that can be better spent doing more pleasant things.

Allegra

and for your info, from their website

"Annual Grasses and Weeds Controlled:
Annual Bluegrass, Barnyardgrass (Watergrass), Brachiaria,
Bromegrass, Cheat, Crabgrass, Foxtail, Goosegrass,
Johnsongrass (from seed), Junglerice, Sandbur, Stinkgrass,
Sprangletop, Texas Panicum, Wildcane. Also controls these
broadleaf weeds: Carelessweed, Carpetweed, Chickweed,
Florida Purslane, Goosefoot, Knotweed, Kochia, Lambsquarter,
Pigweed, Purslane, Russian Thistle, Stinging Nettle."