Old 24-05-2006, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default New with question

I would like to know how hard I can trim back roses this time of year.
I'm in Atlanta.

I have a client that moved his furniture studio. He had planted 45
David Austin roses. He didn't take care of them the lasttwo years.
The climbers look okay, 25 feet and climbing. The others just look
overgrown.

I took care of them the first year and they did okay. The second year
he took care of them and once again, fine.

The owners of the property said I could take care of them. I just hate
to see them in such sad shape.

Can I prune them down to say 3 feet for the bushes -- they are at 6
feet or more. The runners, who knows.

Help!

Kavin

Old 24-05-2006, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to know how hard I can trim back roses this time of year.
I'm in Atlanta.

I have a client that moved his furniture studio. He had planted 45
David Austin roses. He didn't take care of them the lasttwo years.
The climbers look okay, 25 feet and climbing. The others just look
overgrown.

I took care of them the first year and they did okay. The second year
he took care of them and once again, fine.

The owners of the property said I could take care of them. I just hate
to see them in such sad shape.

Can I prune them down to say 3 feet for the bushes -- they are at 6
feet or more. The runners, who knows.

Help!

Kavin

I have some large Tea roses (not Hybrid Tea)
that had gotten overgrown, too many canes
competing with each other. I cut about 1/2
to 2/3 of three plants, trying to cut older canes
and crossing (inside the plant) canes. They
now have a really cool open and airy look.

I'm not sure about severely pruning the height at
this time of year. It might be too stressful for the
plant. But cutting out some of the excess older
canes down to the bud union should be ok.

I don't know what you're referring to as
"runners". Roses have canes.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 26-05-2006, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Gail Futoran wrote:

snip

Thank you. The runners were basically low, horizontal canes. Believe
me, I'm clueless on most of this. I was told there were climbers,
bushes and those that were low and 'ran'.

Will let you know what happens.

Kavin

Old 26-05-2006, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

wrote in message
ups.com...

Gail Futoran wrote:

snip

Thank you. The runners were basically low, horizontal canes. Believe
me, I'm clueless on most of this. I was told there were climbers,
bushes and those that were low and 'ran'.

Will let you know what happens.

Kavin

Ok. Climbing roses don't actually "climb",
like a vine. They just get long canes that need
to be tied to something. One of my David
Austin roses, "Teasing Georgia" grew like a
weed the first year I planted it and put out
canes long enough that I had to tie them to a
trellis just to keep the bush shaped.

Anyway, good luck.

Gail