GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cemetary Roses. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/147225-cemetary-roses.html)

Gail Futoran[_1_] 15-09-2006 04:24 PM

Cemetary Roses.

"jtill" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, my little old rose is blooming again, pink and just as big as a
nickel with nine more buds showing!
Joe T
Baytown

Cool! How much does it resemble the parent? Are the blooms the same size?

I was away from home for a week for the first time all summer; fortunately
that week our temperatures got lower and we actually got some rain.
Previously I had been watering my roses every 3-4 days and only losing a few
of the weaker ones.

I had an Iceberg planted by my driveway and it did fine for two years;
absolutely no problems. Then I transplanted it into one of the beds, a spot
where I had lost 3 or 4 other roses since 1999. I should have known! My
poor Iceberg, which I transplanted in January (it should have been well
established by August), dried up and died. ::sob::

So now I don't know what to do with that spot. I always put in new soil
when I transplant, but usually only in a hole large enough for
transplanting. Now I'm thinking of digging out a much larger hole and
putting in all new soil before putting anything else in there.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

jtill 16-09-2006 12:48 AM

Cemetary Roses.

Well, we missed you!
Icebergs are usually cast iron plants! There may be something in that
spot.
My little roses are growing and blooming, got a little yellow so I got
some liqiud iron and they greened up quickly.
Look like the parent? Don't know cause the parents were not in bloom. I
have three and they don't look to be the same, time will tell, only one
has bloomed, pale pink fadind to white.
Joe T

Gail Futoran[_1_] 18-09-2006 03:02 AM

Cemetary Roses.

"jtill" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, we missed you!

Thanks. :)

Icebergs are usually cast iron plants! There may be something in that
spot.

Yes, to both comments. The location is in a round bed (my first; I'd never
do a round bed now) that's 16' across. I've had problems with a few other
plants, but most have done fine in the same bed. So it's a mystery.

My little roses are growing and blooming, got a little yellow so I got
some liqiud iron and they greened up quickly.
Look like the parent? Don't know cause the parents were not in bloom.

Ah, ok. Too bad.

have three and they don't look to be the same, time will tell, only one
has bloomed, pale pink fadind to white.
Joe T

Interesting!

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

jtill 20-09-2006 04:42 PM

Cemetary Roses.

This is very close to my rose, introduced 100 years ago!

potato50.cool.ne.jp/.../OR/Cecile%20Brunner.htm

Joe T

Gail Futoran wrote:
"jtill" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, we missed you!

Thanks. :)

Gail Futoran[_1_] 21-09-2006 05:25 PM

Cemetary Roses.

"jtill" wrote in message
ups.com...
This is very close to my rose, introduced 100 years ago!

potato50.cool.ne.jp/.../OR/Cecile%20Brunner.htm

Joe T

Makes sense that your cuttings might be from a Cecile Brunner. Any rose
that's been around that long has to be a sturdy rose. :)

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

jasonharwarrd 06-05-2011 12:05 AM

At the Lone Hill and Social Hill Cemeteries I calm several rose cuttings. Most are now rooting! I have no abstraction what they are but plan to abound them in pots as keepsake momentos. Many of my ancestors are active at those places.