Old 30-06-2006, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
jtill

Default Cemetary Roses.

Three weeks ago I visited my home town, Malvern Arkansas and Oak Grove
Arkansas for a reunion of cousins. At the Lone Hill and Social Hill
Cemeteries I collected several rose cuttings. Most are now rooting! I
have no idea what they are but plan to grow them in pots as keepsake
momentos. Many of my relatives are buried at those places. Very likely
these roses are hand-me-downs and could be very old. They could be new,
we will see.
Joe T
Baytown/Houston

Old 01-07-2006, 05:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"jtill" wrote in message
ps.com...
Three weeks ago I visited my home town, Malvern Arkansas and Oak Grove
Arkansas for a reunion of cousins. At the Lone Hill and Social Hill
Cemeteries I collected several rose cuttings. Most are now rooting! I
have no idea what they are but plan to grow them in pots as keepsake
momentos. Many of my relatives are buried at those places. Very likely
these roses are hand-me-downs and could be very old. They could be new,
we will see.
Joe T
Baytown/Houston

I think that makes you officially a "rose rustler".
Let us know how the cuttings turn out.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 03-07-2006, 01:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
jtill

Gail Futoran wrote:
"jtill" wrote in message
ps.com...
Three weeks ago I visited my home town, Malvern Arkansas and Oak Grove
Arkansas for a reunion of cousins. At the Lone Hill and Social Hill
Cemeteries I collected several rose cuttings. Most are now rooting! I
have no idea what they are but plan to grow them in pots as keepsake
momentos. Many of my relatives are buried at those places. Very likely
these roses are hand-me-downs and could be very old. They could be new,
we will see.
Joe T
Baytown/Houston

I think that makes you officially a "rose rustler".
Let us know how the cuttings turn out.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Gail
Now that the cuttings are leafing out should I move them from shade to
sun?
Joe T
Baytown

Old 03-07-2006, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"jtill" wrote in message
ps.com...

Gail Futoran wrote:
"jtill" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

When I grew cuttings I kept them in partial shade
until they were fairly well established. I put them
under a young Bald cypress near my garage
where it was easy to water them daily and watch
their progress. I didn't want our relentless
TX sun to dry them out, which is a real concern.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 17-07-2006, 11:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
jtill

Gail Futoran wrote:
"jtill" wrote in message
ps.com...

Gail Futoran wrote:
"jtill" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

I followed your advice and they seem to be rooting. Some put on leaves
already.
Jo T

Old 18-07-2006, 03:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"jtill" wrote in message
oups.com...

Gail Futoran wrote:
"jtill" wrote in message
ps.com...

Gail Futoran wrote:
"jtill" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

That sounds great. You might even see
some blooms before long. Keep us
updated.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 09-08-2006, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Hey Gail, I have a bud! By the way, Firstrays.com has orchid pots that
work great for other plants and you can make them out of coke bottles.
You drill two holes 1" up from the bottom, froming a sump in the
bottom. Prevents dryout so you can water less often.

Joe T
Baytown Tx

Gail Futoran wrote:
"jtill" wrote in message
oups.com...

Gail Futoran wrote:
"jtill" wrote in message
ps.com...

Gail Futoran wrote:
ps.com...

Old 10-08-2006, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"jtill" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey Gail, I have a bud! By the way, Firstrays.com has orchid pots that
work great for other plants and you can make them out of coke bottles.
You drill two holes 1" up from the bottom, froming a sump in the
bottom. Prevents dryout so you can water less often.

Joe T
Baytown Tx

Joe, that's great! When I've done cuttings I
viewed the first bud as a sign of success. Of
course the process isn't finished yet, but
you've made a good start. Congrats!

Interesting comment about the orchid pots.
Anything that works...

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 15-08-2006, 03:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"jtill" wrote in message
ups.com...
Gail. one bloomed, very small, VERY pale pink. Three look to live!

Joe T
Baytown
Tx

Hey, Joe, that's cool! Crossing my fingers
and toes that the live ones make it.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

Old 27-08-2006, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Well, it is budding again, five tiny buds this time on a new branch,
should I clip them or just let it flower?
Joe T
Baytown

Gail Futoran wrote:
ups.com...

Old 28-08-2006, 01:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"jtill" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well, it is budding again, five tiny buds this time on a new branch,
should I clip them or just let it flower?
Joe T
Baytown

I'd let them flower. Clipping them will just force the rose to put more
energy into producing more buds. Like when you deadhead, you're encouraging
the plant to put energy in making flowers.

Old 07-09-2006, 03:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Well, my little old rose is blooming again, pink and just as big as a
nickel with nine more buds showing!
Joe T
Baytown

Gail Futoran wrote: