GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   The great, late Graham Thomas (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/15384-great-late-graham-thomas.html)

Allegra 17-04-2003 11:44 PM

The great, late Graham Thomas

I just received a note from a gardening friend in the UK
informing me of the passing of Graham Stuart Thomas.

"It is with great sadness that I must share the news of Graham's passing,
during the night of April 16th. I feel a great sense of personal loss which,
know, will be shared by you. We have lost a great friend, all of us rose
lovers."

He was in his 90s and still as involved with roses as he had always been.
A great man to whom much is owed in this world for his constant
interest and perseverance in the cultivation of roses. I for one, will mourn
the passing of this valuable teacher, a gentleman of the old school who
shared with us all in ways we will never know perhaps the true value
of cultivating beauty to leave as the only truly valuable legacy to those
who will come after us.

Allegra

Darlin' Sweet Cheeks 18-04-2003 01:32 AM

The great, late Graham Thomas

He'll be missed, but what a heritage he leaves behind. Not just roses
either; his book on perennials is a wonder.

I'll raise a glase in front of my Graham Thomas tonight. It's just
starting its glorious display of yellow bloom.

--v

Mike 18-04-2003 06:08 AM

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, "Allegra" wrote:
I just received a note from a gardening friend in the UK
informing me of the passing of Graham Stuart Thomas.

"It is with great sadness that I must share the news of Graham's passing,
during the night of April 16th. I feel a great sense of personal loss which,
know, will be shared by you. We have lost a great friend, all of us rose
lovers."

He was in his 90s and still as involved with roses as he had always been.
A great man to whom much is owed in this world for his constant
interest and perseverance in the cultivation of roses. I for one, will mourn
the passing of this valuable teacher, a gentleman of the old school who
shared with us all in ways we will never know perhaps the true value
of cultivating beauty to leave as the only truly valuable legacy to those
who will come after us.

Allegra

That is very sad news. There's a short list of names that immediately
spring to mind when I think of great rosarians, and his is one of them. His
contributions to our mutual passion were enormous and invaluable. I can't
add anything more meaningful to what you've already expressed. It is a
great loss that cannot be replaced.

Mike
z8TX

Larry Blanchard 18-04-2003 06:44 PM

The great, late Graham Thomas

In article ,
says...
I just received a note from a gardening friend in the UK
informing me of the passing of Graham Stuart Thomas.

snip

He was in his 90s and still as involved with roses as he had always been.

What a shame. At least he had a long good life. My bush is just
starting leaves in zone 5, but I'll remember him as long as it lives.
They do say we're not really dead till nobody remembers us.

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president or that we
are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic

hels 27-04-2003 03:20 AM

The great, late Graham Thomas

Allegra and Larry

First I echoed this message to another froup and was amazed there was no
reaction whatsoever

Secondly Larry, i believe you are right by your sig file

regards

guido

"Larry Blanchard" schreef in bericht
In article ,
says...

Jane Lumley 27-04-2003 06:32 PM

The great, late Graham Thomas

What a shame. At least he had a long good life. My bush is just
starting leaves in zone 5, but I'll remember him as long as it lives.
They do say we're not really dead till nobody remembers us.

My Graham Thomas rose is just budding now, and I also remember him when
I look at many others for his wise words about them all. God just took
on a pretty good helper in the garden of paradise.....

--
Jane Lumley