Old 28-03-2007, 08:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default grafting roses, etc.

I'd like to ask- my grandfather did a lot of grafting, and I would
watch him. He used to dip the end of the part he was grafting into
some white powdery stuff he got at the nursery. This was in the early
1960's. He told me what it was, but of course, I can't remember. He
used this white powder to graft roses, and made beautiful varigated
carnations with the same method. Anyone have any idea what the
substance was?

Thanks,

Karen
Old 02-04-2007, 01:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

wrote in message

I'd like to ask- my grandfather did a lot of grafting, and I would
watch him. He used to dip the end of the part he was grafting into
some white powdery stuff he got at the nursery. This was in the
early
1960's. He told me what it was, but of course, I can't remember. He
used this white powder to graft roses, and made beautiful varigated
carnations with the same method. Anyone have any idea what the
substance was?

Thanks,

Karen

Probably a rooting hormone. You can
get it at any nursery that carries
supplies.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 03-04-2007, 12:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Here a website that talks about the use of rooting hormones with grafting.
Hope it helps. I use the powder form, but I think its about the same either
way.
http://www.rooting-hormones.com/stenting.htm
"Cummins (1997) states that the 'success of a graft union depends on the
establishment of a callus bridge between the cut surfaces of scion and stock
and the subsequent establishment of a functioning vascular cylinder
connecting scion and stock. Initial callus formation appears to develop
about equally on the cut surfaces of both partners, arising not from the
cambial layers but from parenchyma cells, mostly in the wood just inside the
cambium. Soon after scion and stock calluses have merged, callus cells just
below the cambial cells of the scion begin to divide in the same plane as
the cambium. Waves of cell division proceed from the top down, suggesting
that a regulatory stimulus moves to the cut surface from the growing-shoot
tip. Callus parenchyma cells inside the new cambium cylinder
re-differentiate into functioning xylem cells. The new cambium begins
producing phloem cells.' Upon application of liquid rooting hormones to the
graft site, of malus trials, survival was greater for the treated grafts
than for those not treated. He used the equivalent of a fresh solution of
Rhizopon AA Water Soluble Tablets at 40 tablets per liter (2000 ppm active
ingredients). Cummins says it is probable that the rooting hormones increase
both the formation of a callus and the rate at which the new cambium
cylinder is differentiated through the callus parenchyma cells. He suggests
that dry powder rooting hormone should also be tried at the graft union."

Best Regards,

Jeff

Southeast Michigan, Zone 5 (with snow in the forecast for later this week!)

Old 03-04-2007, 08:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 12:22:54 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

I'd like to ask- my grandfather did a lot of grafting, and I would
watch him. He used to dip the end of the part he was grafting into
some white powdery stuff he got at the nursery. This was in the
early
1960's. He told me what it was, but of course, I can't remember. He
used this white powder to graft roses, and made beautiful varigated
carnations with the same method. Anyone have any idea what the
substance was?

Thanks,

Karen

Probably a rooting hormone. You can
get it at any nursery that carries
supplies.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Thanks alot Gail!

Karen

Old 03-04-2007, 09:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 23:31:25 GMT, "Jeffrey L. Kline"
wrote:

[...]

I have book marked that site for future reference. Thanks,

Karen

Old 03-04-2007, 05:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

wrote in message
On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 12:22:54 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

[snip]
Probably a rooting hormone. You can
get it at any nursery that carries
supplies.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Thanks alot Gail!

Karen

You're welcome.

It's nice when 2 different people come
up with the same answer!

Gail

Any ideas on quality etc etc of fruit trees from Deacon's, any experiences plz spender United Kingdom 2 18-02-2011 10:52 PM
Fruit trees - root stock, grafting, reasons for doing it, etc. [email protected] United Kingdom 3 22-06-2005 10:41 PM
[IBC] IBC/REC.ARTS.BONSAI, SPAM and etc. (was: Sticky, white stuff, etc.) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 02-06-2004 03:03 PM
Complementary Roses etc. Shiva Roses 2 08-02-2004 09:56 PM
grafting roses Melynda Greco Roses 1 28-04-2003 11:20 PM