GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Moss rose, anyone have one in their yard? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/28825-moss-rose-anyone-have-one-their-yard.html)

GamePlayer No. 1058 25-05-2003 09:20 PM

Moss rose, anyone have one in their yard?

Sorry if this duplicates, I can't find the previous post I made the other
night and my usenet provider is flaky at times.

In any event, I was looking through a rose bush that had a couple photos of
moss roses, it didnt give me any real information just some great looking
pictures and that the scent of the blooms is mixed with the scent of pine of
the moss and that it's heavenly.

So, does anyone have these in their yards? If so are they hardy and disease
resistant? I live in Zone 08a

Thanks,

J. Del Col 26-05-2003 02:56 PM

"GamePlayer No. 1058" wrote in message news:212a6c3eefdd226baf21e4b0abed2354@TeraNews.. .
Sorry if this duplicates, I can't find the previous post I made the other
night and my usenet provider is flaky at times.

In any event, I was looking through a rose bush that had a couple photos of
moss roses, it didnt give me any real information just some great looking
pictures and that the scent of the blooms is mixed with the scent of pine of
the moss and that it's heavenly.

So, does anyone have these in their yards? If so are they hardy and disease
resistant? I live in Zone 08a

I have several moss roses including "Salet" and several "found" moss
roses. They are all hardy and fairly disease resistant. Please keep
in mind that they bloom only in late spring and early summer.

The piney/peppery scent from the moss is particularly strong in
"Salet."

They are easy roses. Give them plenty of sun, water and a good
balanced rose
fertilizer, and they will produce loads of bloom.

J. Del Col

Larry Blanchard 26-05-2003 05:08 PM

Moss rose, anyone have one in their yard?

In article ,
says...
I have several moss roses including "Salet" and several "found" moss
roses. They are all hardy and fairly disease resistant. Please keep
in mind that they bloom only in late spring and early summer.

The piney/peppery scent from the moss is particularly strong in
"Salet."

I had Salet meveral years ago in Zone 5. Beautiful rose. But it was
subject to downy mildew and finally sucumbed in one of our cold dry
winters.

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president or that we
are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic

Theo Asir 27-05-2003 03:44 PM

Moss rose, anyone have one in their yard?

I had Salet meveral years ago in Zone 5. Beautiful rose. But it was
subject to downy mildew and finally sucumbed in one of our cold dry
winters.

Downy?? I've never seen that here.
This is the first year I've seen some powdery
and it was only on The Fairy.

I'm very curious. Where in Zone 5
did you grow it. Was it grafted?

I do grow salet and it is a nice 4' shrub
for me and an absolute bloom machine.

I planted it as a tiny own root last
september and it did just fine w/ our
-18f winter.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Larry Blanchard 27-05-2003 05:44 PM

Moss rose, anyone have one in their yard?

In article 6b8cb371ccade9b03643c3d4ad30e7b8@TeraNews,
says...

Downy?? I've never seen that here.
This is the first year I've seen some powdery
and it was only on The Fairy.

Sorry, I meant powdery - my vocabulary seems to shrink as I age :-).

I'm very curious. Where in Zone 5
did you grow it. Was it grafted?

Spokane, WA. I got it from Roses of Yesterday and Today.

I do grow salet and it is a nice 4' shrub
for me and an absolute bloom machine.

Like I said, a very pretty rose.

I planted it as a tiny own root last
september and it did just fine w/ our
-18f winter.

Perhaps the difference is cover. We often have dry winters with no snow
cover and while -18 is unusual it has exceeded that. Sometimes with high
winds. And I don't cover any of my roses - it's sink or swim.

Maybe that's why I like rugosas :-).