Old 06-06-2003, 07:32 PM
slackjeep

Default Leonidas

"Linda" wrote in message ...
I did ask our local nursery person about Leonides and last yr. they,
evidently, carried it but it had so many problems...mildew, diseases, etc.,
that they didn't reorder this yr. But someone did have a gorgeous bloom at
our local Flower Show this yr., so someone must be doing ok with it. I am
in Southern Calif. Linda

I just purchased one that is just now leafing out. So far no problems
with mildew or anything else. I was having a rust & mildew problem
with all my roses earlier this year but it seems to have cleared by
itself. I think the rain, then sun, then rain, then sun, then rain
again caused the problem. You see, we're not used to this in So. CA!

I'll post again after my Leonida blooms. (that's how it's spelled on
the tag so I hope we're talking about the same rose)

BTW, I did see a fully bloomed bush at a nursery last month. The
colors were true to form. I hope my rose is the same or I'll totally
regret not purchasing the one I saw.

Dorys

A follow up to my own post from about a month ago. I have my first
Leonida bloom from a bare root I purchased. As many have described in
past posts, and much to my dismay, the flower is orange and yellow,
not brown and cream. Nothing like the rose I saw at the nursery I
mention above. The leaves are quite ugly, mildewing and somewhat
burnt. I am going to put the bush in a shadier part of my garden to
see if this will darken the color a bit. I don't plan to get rid of
it, it's a beautiful bloom, but not what I was hoping for.

So, I regret not buying the bush I saw in the nursery. :-( I may
have to go back up there to see if they still carry it.

Dorys
Zone 10