GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dormant Spray/Oil? was Maryland roses (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/563-dormant-spray-oil-re-maryland-roses.html)

R & L Porter 03-02-2003 07:02 PM

Dormant Spray/Oil? was Maryland roses

"dave weil" wrote in message
On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 17:23:25 GMT, "R & L Porter"
wrote:

I was under the impression that dormant spray was used while
the plant was dormant in order to smother pests (thinking
of apple trees). Am I way off, or am I thinking of something
similarly named?

I was also thinking that for those of us in blackspot country, this
was a way to stave off the effects of overwintering spores.

A couple of experts in this area swear by it and say that their
implementation of dormant spraying has reduced or eliminated the
threat.

Dave,

maybe there are different uses for it. Or maybe we are wrong.
Or maybe Bob is wrong. Or maybe all of us are right. hmmmm...
are you confused yet?

I would still like to know if I can use this stuff to smother
sawfly larvae.

I'll check in again later in the week,

Lp

madaboutdirt 01-02-2005 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R & L Porter

[...]

Hi! I'm a rose fanatic and I am thinking of trying dormant oil spray this year for the first time. I had a horrible time with blackspot last year and have read more than one place that dormant oil is a great way of controling all kinds of ills of roses. I think that it's good for not only insect larvae but also for controlling fungus spores that overwinter in the ground and in the mulch.

madaboutdirt 01-02-2005 03:48 AM

Quote:

[...]

Hi! I'm a rose fanatic and I am thinking of trying dormant oil spray this year for the first time. I had a horrible time with blackspot last year and have read in various publications that dormant oil is a great way of controling all kinds of ills of roses. I think it's good not only for insect larvae but also for controlling fungus spores that overwinter in the ground and mulch.

dave weil 01-02-2005 06:39 PM

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 03:48:52 +0000, madaboutdirt
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Frankly, I'm confused. Did I say something controversial or suspect
about dormant spray? I can't tell, because my contribution has been
stripped out. I remember recommending it, but the things that you
describe are the sorts of things that I would recommend it for,
especially blackspot, which I understand is killed by it, but I could
be wrong.