Old 03-02-2003, 07:02 PM
R & L Porter

Default Dormant Spray/Oil? was Maryland roses

"dave weil" wrote in message
On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 17:23:25 GMT, "R & L Porter"
wrote:

I was under the impression that dormant spray was used while
the plant was dormant in order to smother pests (thinking
of apple trees). Am I way off, or am I thinking of something
similarly named?

I was also thinking that for those of us in blackspot country, this
was a way to stave off the effects of overwintering spores.

A couple of experts in this area swear by it and say that their
implementation of dormant spraying has reduced or eliminated the
threat.

Dave,

maybe there are different uses for it. Or maybe we are wrong.
Or maybe Bob is wrong. Or maybe all of us are right. hmmmm...
are you confused yet?

I would still like to know if I can use this stuff to smother
sawfly larvae.

I'll check in again later in the week,

Lp

Old 01-02-2005, 06:39 PM
dave weil

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 03:48:52 +0000, madaboutdirt
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Hi! I'm a rose fanatic and I am thinking of trying dormant oil spray
this year for the first time. I had a horrible time with blackspot last
year and have read in various publications that dormant oil is a great
way of controling all kinds of ills of roses. I think it's good not
only for insect larvae but also for controlling fungus spores that
overwinter in the ground and mulch.

Frankly, I'm confused. Did I say something controversial or suspect
about dormant spray? I can't tell, because my contribution has been
stripped out. I remember recommending it, but the things that you
describe are the sorts of things that I would recommend it for,
especially blackspot, which I understand is killed by it, but I could
be wrong.