Old 09-04-2004, 05:02 AM
Matthew Harelick

Default Rose food

Hello:

My wife and I have considered planting roses around our relatively new
house. The one thing that has been holding us back is the concept
that popular rose food
includes bone and blood products.

Is it possible to feed roses without using animal products ?

Thank You

Matthew Harelick
Old 09-04-2004, 09:32 AM
Snooze

"Matthew Harelick" wrote in message
om...
Hello:

My wife and I have considered planting roses around our relatively new
house. The one thing that has been holding us back is the concept
that popular rose food
includes bone and blood products.

Is it possible to feed roses without using animal products ?

Why are you hesitant to use fertilizers made from animal products?
Attempting to become a vegan gardener?

Bone meal is used as a source of phosphorus, it is organic, and is made from
the waste products in slaughter houses.

Blood meal is used as a source of nitrogen, it is organic, and made from
spraying blood into a vacuum chamber, causing it to boil instantly, then
collecting the solids after the water evaporates off. It is also made from
the by products of slaugher houses.

Fish emulsion is made from the waste (heads, tails, organs, skin, bones)
from fish processing plants, it is ground up and turned into a thick liquid.

Composted manure and manure tea is just poop, typically from feedlots. Good
source of nitrogen, but can be too strong and burn plants, if used
incorrectly.

Synethetic fertilizers, both granular and liquid soluble. Often they use
ammonium sulfate, ammonium phosphate, urea phosphate and potassium chloride
as a source of nitrogen, phosphorus and potash. Synethetics, such as
miracle-gro are often considered to be junk food of the plant world. They
provide quick boosts of nutrients, with out providing much value to the
soil.

Additionally urea and ammonium products are usually made by using natural
gas and other fossil fuels. A lot of natural gas is burnt or used as a
source of hydrogen to make ammonia and urea.

I have a bias towards using organic fertilizers, but I admit I do use
synethetics as well, but decide for yourself what you choose to use.

Sameer

Old 09-04-2004, 04:08 PM
joe

I have 200+ roses and use a water saluable food called Magnum
Grow and LOVE it