Old 27-04-2004, 03:03 AM
Laura M

Default Rose Question

I planted a rose bush and it seems there hasn't been one rose on it
yet, which seems strange. It's getting lots of leaves but no buds.
The rose bush next to it I bought at a different store and it's doing
only ok. There have been one or two roses on it but it seems like no
new buds.

I planted it using a clay conditioner as our ground is very wet and
clay-like. I then put some fertlizer on top of the
soil...specifically for roses just as the directions said.

DOes anyone have a clue as to why there would be no roses?

Roseless in Danville (Laura)

Old 27-04-2004, 05:04 AM
dave weil

Laura M wrote:

I planted a rose bush and it seems there hasn't been one rose on it
yet, which seems strange. It's getting lots of leaves but no buds.
The rose bush next to it I bought at a different store and it's doing
only ok. There have been one or two roses on it but it seems like no
new buds.

I planted it using a clay conditioner as our ground is very wet and
clay-like. I then put some fertlizer on top of the
soil...specifically for roses just as the directions said.

DOes anyone have a clue as to why there would be no roses?

Roseless in Danville (Laura)

Yes (agreeing with what ben wrote), and it's still a bit early for
many roses.

If you planted it this spring, you might only see a few blooms this
year. The first year is devoted to building a good root system. Roses
usually don't take off until the second and third year.

I have something like 25 roses and only one of them is in full bloom
right now in zone 6B (Nashville). I have 8 other roses that have lots
of buds but only a few full blooms. I have two roses that have had a
single bloom and have started throwing a few more buds. I have 4 or
five roses that have yet to bloom but have a couple of buds. The other
14 haven't even budded yet or only have a bud or two and have yet to
bloom. The next couple of weeks will make all of the difference in my
garden.

It really depends on the type of rose, the climate and the time of
year with roses. This doesn't mean that you might not have a problem,
but you probably need to have a little patience, especially if this is
these roses' first season. If you're getting good healthy cane and
leaf growth, I wouldn't worry. If you start getting brown canes or
stunted growth, that's the time to start worrying a little. The thing
that you *shouldn't* do is to overcompensate by over-fertilizing.

Also, you want to make sure that it gets LOTS of sun. The more the
merrier. If you're not getting at least a good 4-5 hours of sun (from
8am until about 6pm), then you might have a problem down the road.
Roses crave sunlight.

So, if you can answer ben's questions, adding how much sun you have
and when you planted them, we might be able to help more...
Old 04-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Gillian Lowe

i have similar problem with a bush which i planted two years ago - last
season i made allowances for the plant's extreme youth but this season i
glare at it each time i go past it and it knows that if it doesn't perform
within the next month it will be 'off with its head' and trunk and roots

it has well behaved roses on either side so i have decided that it must just
be a dud!

better luck with your problem