Old 21-05-2004, 05:04 AM
John

Default leaves look funny

Hi
A few of my roses have small white patches on a few of their leaves, on
others, the leaves
are curling at the edges, while others have edges where the leaf is dead
(kind of crispy brown). On the whole, the plants look good. I fert them
every 4-6 weeks and deep water 3-4X/week. I get lots of buds. I remember my
Dad use to use some kind of white powder on his roses. I think it was an
Ortho product and came in a huge can.
This is my first attempt at roses, had them since Jan. I'm just kinda
worried this leaf problem could lead to something worse.
Any help would be appreciated
John
Zone 8-9

--
"Cheap work isn't good and good work isn't cheap"
-

Old 23-05-2004, 07:18 AM
ben boorman

Not quite.... Powdery Mildew is a basic scourge of rose growers around
the world. Once bitten the leaf cannot recover, however the bush is not
really hurt unless you ignore it. It will NOT go away. Use a basic
anti-fungal, I use Rose Defense, as noted on the container. Usually
requires weekly, if not every 5 day, treatment to PREVENT, not cure.

When I get a rose infected, I trim back all the infected portion, almost
to another pruning job if it gets too bad, like my neighbors rose which
gets ignored until I do it.

There are a lot of other products out there. The more "natural" growers
use a baking soda and water mix, I believe 1/4 teaspoon per quart of water.

Take a look at this site:

http://www.venturarose.org/article-powdery-mildew.htm

or for a real lesson:

http://www.ars.org/explore.cfm/spraying/spraying

I avoid mildew prone roses (except I still hang onto my Iceberg and
Brilliant Pink Iceberg.

Ben

Old 23-05-2004, 07:18 AM
John

well ok thanks, I've had aphids, then white flys attack my roses, now its a
fungus...
thanks for the tips Ben