Old 28-11-2004, 03:02 PM
dave weil

Default Dependable nursery

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:18:49 -0500 (EST), "Shiva"
wrote:

I like Muncy's Rose Emporium in GA:

http://www.muncyrose.com/

Nice big ownroots, nice people. They do not
ship to California.

Roses Unlimited in SC is also pretty good:

http://www.rosesunlimitedownroot.com/

I don't order from Heritage or Vintage
any more due to the tiny size of the bands and
the exorbitant prices.

I loved Michael's in CA but he's out of business.

I'd add Antique Rose Emporium to the list. In the past, they've
shipped large, vigorous plants (but I haven't ordered from them in the
past two years because I haven't ordered from *anyone* in the past two
years, except for one exception).

One thing about bands though. Depending on the variety, bands can be
quite good. You don't always need to be concerned with the initial
size. My example would be Portland from Glendorra. As I have related
in the past, the root ball was about the size of a walnut and the stem
was about 3 1/2 inches tall (it was my first band and boy was *I*
disappointed). By the first season, it had grown to a very nice fat 4
foot bush. At the end of its second year, it's about 6 feet tall and
ready to be pruned a bit. If I lived in California, I'd probably use
Vintage Gardens because of the incredible variety, but it costs a
fortune in shipping here in Tennessee. I've noticed that their
non-banded product seems smaller and more spindly than comparable
plants from ARI, but they've been good performers over time. However,
ARI might be similarly financially prohibitive to those who live a
good distance from Texas. Note that I've never gotten banded product
from Vintage, just potted stuff. And I was underwhelmed with the
appearance, although, as I've said, the plants have turned out nicely.

I got my "tiny" Portland from The Uncommon Rose in Oregon. I also got
Mel Hulse from them as well. Shipping wasn't too bad. Just be ready
for some small plants!

Old 28-11-2004, 03:02 PM
dave weil

wrote:

[...]

Greenwood Nursery now has plants that are not commonly found! Earl Buchan Gardening 3 12-02-2003 06:55 PM
Greenwood Nursery now carrying Flowering Trees Earl Buchan Gardening 0 11-02-2003 06:25 PM
Central Illinois Retail Greenhouse, Garden Center, and Nursery Business - For Sale by Owner Eades Greenhouse and Nursery Gardening 0 03-02-2003 09:15 PM
reliable rose nursery Undine Gardening 0 25-01-2003 05:07 PM
Free Shipping at Greenwood Nursery! (Excluding Alaska & Hawaii) Earl Buchan Gardening 0 24-01-2003 07:13 PM